Sunday, November 14, 2010

Chapter 2

After his younger siblings went to school, Malachai sat at the kitchen table and talked to his father.  “Dad, what the hell am I supposed to do?  Caleb and I can only do so much.  Now that he’s over the Mono he caught at school we were starting to audition for new guitarists.  Now, with Devon gone too... what the FUCK am I supposed to do?”

David took a sip of his coffee and gave the question some serious thought.  “First, son, you mourn and try to start healing from her loss.  Then, you start auditioning for a new bassist after you find a new guitarist.”
“And what about when we land gigs?  I introduce myself as Malachai Draiman and people think I’m trying to gain my career by resting on your laurels.  It pisses me off, to be perfectly honest with you.”  He ran his fingers through his hair.

“I understand it pisses you off.  How do you think I feel when I get a phone call from people you’ve tried to get gigs from with that exact same accusation?  Some of the club owners that you guys have gone to were avid listeners to the band before, during and after the war.  A couple of them were at the rally at Lake Tenkiller when you sang with me on stage.  When you open your mouth and you sound JUST like me, people are going to think that kind of stuff.”

“Then what do you suggest, Dad?”

David sighed and looked at oldest son.  “I’ll give you the same piece of advice I’ve given countless front men over the years.  Find something and make it your own.  Do something that sets you apart.”

“Here’s an off the wall question, Dad?”

“Ok.”

“Before Devon died and Jeff flaked on us, would you have signed us to Intoxication?”

David thought about the question for a moment.  “Honestly?”

“Yeah.”

“No because you sound too much like me.  I’ve always held that there’s only room for ONE David Draiman in this world they don’t even know what to do with me.”

Malachai nodded.  “Thanks for the honesty and the advice, Dad.  This is just so much to take in all at once and the fact that it’s all happened RIGHT before graduation is a bitch.”

David laughed.  “I understand, son, better than you think I do.”

Malachai laughed for a moment, then changed the subject.  “So, where’ s Mom at?”

“Where do you think she is?  Upstairs in her massage room.  She’s working on your Auntie Angela.”

Malachai laughed.  “GOD, I can’t believe how childish I used to sound when I said that.”

“Well, son, I still say it because you have younger siblings that haven’t even gotten close to hitting double digits in age yet that still say it.”

Malachai laughed louder.  “That’s great!  I hate to say it, Dad, but sometimes it sucks to be you.”
“You have NO IDEA, ‘Chai.”

--------------

Later in the morning, Malachai met with Caleb.  “Bro, we need something fresh.  Something that no one does anymore.”

“How about a female vocalist and you play guitar?  Didn’t you learn how to play from Dan Donegan?”

“Yeah, he’s my godfather.”

“So, use that to your advantage.  Play instead of sing.  Everyone we’ve ever played for has said you sound SOO much like David Draiman then they ask what your last name is.  When you say Draiman, they accuse us of trying to get by on your Dad’s name.”

“I agree.  I just can’t believe I never thought of it before.”

“Do you have any ideas as to who we should audition for the lead vocalist part?”

“Well, my sister Jordan for one.  You’ve heard Jordan sing.”

“I’ve heard all of you siblings sing as well as BOTH of your parents.  Hell, I’m surprised that your Dad hasn’t drug your Mom into the studio and had her sing with him.  Their voices are the perfect complement to each other.”

“I know, and Jordan sounds JUST like our mom.”

“If she’s interested, we’ll let her audition then.”  Caleb had a thought.  “Hey, doesn’t your brother Jacob play bass?”

“He started learning it a long time ago, but he put it down because he said that music isn’t his calling in life.  He’s decided to take a more healing path with his life after school in five years.”

“He’s going to become a massage therapist like you mother?”

Malachai shook his head.  “Nope, that’s Maddie.  Jake wants to be a doctor.”

No comments:

Post a Comment