Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Chapter 10

John and Logan spent the rest of the day looking for an apartment for Logan and his girlfriend to move into.  “I’m looking forward to seeing SNOW again at Christmas”, Logan joked with Malachai that night.

“It’s been great living here in Colorado, but then again, I’m biased.  I’ve only ever lived here or in Oklahoma.”

“Oh, dear GOD, I don’t miss Tahlequah, Oklahoma.  The Lake Tenkiller rally was fun, especially when you got to sing with Uncle David, but I don’t miss that one level hell hole of a maze. I couldn’t find shit in that God forsaken place.”

“You’re not the only one, Logan.  I think I lost more of my X-Men in that fucking house than I did anything else.”

Logan laughed.  “Don’t tell me you’re still into X-Men.”

Malachai rolled his eyes and threw a french fry at Logan.  “Fuck you, asshole.   The X- Men were cool when we were kids.”

“Who among your brothers and sisters inherited your X-Men?”

“James, Jeremiah, and Marc all share them.”

“James and Jeremiah share?”

“On occasion”, he laughed.

“That’s not shocking”, Logan chuckled.  “So, when I get moved up here and we start having rehearsals, are we going to be working on original material at all?”

“Well, yeah.  What band doesn’t work on original material as well as covers?  Hell, our dad’s got started doing covers.”

“And they weren’t in the same band at that time either.  Remember that jack ass you cussed close to the end of the war?”

“Fuzz.  I know he was the bassist for Disturbed before your dad was.  He actually came here and apologized to everyone after he was well.  I still don’t like him though and he still sets Mom on edge every time he’s around.”

“I believe you there.  How many times have you and your Dad tried to blow his head off?”

“None.  Dad won’t let me”, Malachai groaned.

“WHAT?  I thought your Dad couldn’t stand Fuzz.”

“He can’t, but he still makes me be nice to him.”

“Do you know how childish you just sounded?”

“I really don’t give a fuck how childish I sounded.  I would REALLY like to shoot Fuzz.  He makes my mother uncomfortable.  Jessi, Meagan, Kayla and Maddie all cry when he comes around.”

“Uncle David lets him come around a lot?”

“No.  Once in a VERY blue moon.  Dad still can’t stand him.”

--------------

John and Logan left the next day to start getting Logan’s stuff packed for his move.  Malachai was happy that Caleb had been impressed with Logan’s playing.  It made his life just a little bit easier.  Now, came the difficult part; finding a NAME for the band.  Malachai wanted something that fit the group as a whole; kind of like DISTRUBED fit his Dad and uncles.  They were a bunch of crazy mother fuckers.  So, he sat for days with a note pad and tried to make a list.  With the help of his band mates, they picked a name before Logan got moved into his new apartment.  They would forever be known as Reckless Disregard.  It was the only thing that he could think of that remotely fit them all.

“Dude, ‘Chai, you’re a genius!  I love it!” Caleb said when he announced the name to the members of the band that were present.  He’d told Logan over the phone earlier that day and Logan loved it.  He was going to work on a logo.

Jordan just smiled.  Reckless Disregard, huh?  If they want to see a reckless disregard for the rules then I’ll give them some, she thought to herself.

After he told the band, he told his parents.  “Interesting name, I’ll give you that”, David said with a crooked grin.

“You have a better idea, Dad?” Malachai asked.  David just shook his head.  “I like it, to be honest with you, ‘Chai.  It’s good; catchy, I think.”

“And when they think ‘Reckless Disregard”, they’ll see Jordan’s face”, he joked.

“Rather than yours?” Brie asked her oldest son.

He smiled.  “Something like that”, he said.  “Just like when people think ‘Disturbed’, they think of Dad.  Uncle Danny, Uncle Mikey, and Uncle John are not so much after thoughts, but secondary.  They see Dad’s bald ass head, earrings and lip piercings and think of his monkey noises in ‘Down with the Sickness’.  They think of the animalistic nature of the music as an after note.  David Draiman is the first thought in every mind when they think of Disturbed”, he explained.

“So, you want the first thing that people think of when they think of ‘Reckless Disregard to be brown curls with blond highlights, and whatever modifications your sister has made to her body that make her stand out?”

“Pretty much.  I’m actually GLAD I’m not the front man anymore.  I don’t want to be the first thought in people’s minds when they think of my band.”

“Hey, now”, David said.  “It’s not THAT bad being the front man, Malachai.”

“For YOU, maybe not.  For me, I don’t think it’s my calling.”

“Well, being the face of a band’s not easy.  If you feel you made the right decision by stepping aside and letting your sister take the reins, then more power to you, Malachai.”

No comments:

Post a Comment