Monday, November 15, 2010

Chapter 8


Brie was dead set against Malachai taking Jordan and Logan to meet with Caleb whether he was available or not.  “It’s too late at night, Malachai”, she said.

“Mom, like I’m going to let anything happen to her”, he argued.

“Malachai, this is your ONLY warning, watch your tone with your mother”, David interrupted.

“Yes, sir.”  He looked back at his mother.  “Mom, I’m not going to let anything happen to Jordan.”

“I’m not worried about something happening to Jordan because you and Logan are both firearms experts courtesy of your Uncle Matt.  I’m worried about something happening to ALL of you because there are a bunch of idiots out there tonight.  I said no and I meant it, Malachai Aaron.”

“Dad, talk some sense into her”, he pleaded with David.

“You’re mother’s right, Malachai.  There are too many crazy people out there that like to drink and drive.  Neither your mother nor I want to see something happen to you.  The final word is no.  You can meet with Caleb tomorrow.”

Malachai sighed.  “Yes, sir.  Yes, ma’am.   May I call him and let him talk to Logan?”

“You have a cell phone and you know how to use it, Aaron.  If you want to call Caleb then do so”, David said, not taking his eyes from the book in his lap.  He was engrossed in what he was reading.  Malachai looked at his father.  He’d had to start wearing glasses recently to read and write.  They were sitting on the tip of his nose because for some reason the doctor couldn’t get the prescription right.

He looked form his father to his mother.  She sat curled against his father’s side reading a magazine.  She too had recently had to start wearing glasses and she was looking at the most recent massage publication.  One thing that his mother was good at was staying caught up on the techniques of her trade.  Malachai took a deep breath.  “Mom, Dad, how long have you two been married?”

“Fourteen years”, they said in unison.  His dad licked the tip of his finger and turned a page in his book.

“How have you two managed to stay so in love for fourteen years?”

“It’s easier than breathing for us, Malachai”, Brie said to her son as she turned the page in her magazine to continue reading her article.

He smiled.  “You know, I can only hope that I find someone that will love me the way you love each other.”

“The answer is still no, Malachai”, David said, glancing up at the young man from the corner of his eyes.

“What do you mean, Dad?”

“I know all your tricks, boy.  You can’t try to sneak a yes out of me or your mother.”

“What tricks are you talking about?”

“When you want something and you’ve already been told no, you start talking about how we’re an inspiration and you hope to one day find a woman that will love you the way your father and I love each other to try and butter us up into saying yes.  Not happening this time”, his mother told him.

“Damn.  I can’t get away with shit!”

--------------

Logan crashed in Malachai’s room.  They spent a good portion of the night talking and getting caught up.  “I’ve got a girl back home in Austin that’s waiting for me to find a steady gig.  She’s gonna move out here with me if I make the band”, Logan told Malachai.

“That’s pretty cool, Logan.  I’m happy for you.”

“Anyone special in the life of the son of the Voice of the Resistance?” Logan said teasingly.

“Not anymore.  That song you were toying with a bass line for was about my late girlfriend.  She committed suicide over a week ago.”

“Ouch.  Sorry to hear the, cuz.  You have no idea how sorry.”

Malachai decided to change the subject.  “Ok, so, I’ve got to know, Logan.  Are you still..?” He let the sentence drop off.

“NOPE!  Haven’t been for a long time.  Are you?”

“NOT BY A LONG SHOT!  But, Mom walked in on me.”

“Are you serious?”

“Yeah, then I got the talking to about locking my door and using protection from Dad.”

Logan fought off a laugh.  “That’s hilarious.  I fucking love it.”

---------------

The next morning, Malachai, Logan and Jordan were up early to go talk to Caleb.  John and David laughed at the boys as they crawled out of bed looking like something the dog drug in after Jordan strutted in looking like a million dollars.  “How is it that your daughter can get up and put a flat iron to her hair first thing in the morning and these two drag themselves into the kitchen looking like they got their asses kicked last night?” John asked David and Brie.

“Jordan’s a morning person, Malachai’s not.  Guess  Logan’s not  either”, Brie joked.

“I like getting up in the morning and getting pretty, Uncle John.  Let Malachai and Logan get a little bit of time to get work up, maybe let them get a cup of coffee or three in them, and they’ll be fine.  I’ll bet my next week’s allowance on it.”

“You’re a brave soul, Jordan Hannah.  You’ve to a set as big as your father’s”, John said with a laugh.

She shrugged.  “Runs in the family.”

No comments:

Post a Comment