Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Chapter 19

The piano that David ordered arrived just as Logan and Caleb were arriving.  "Uncle David, I would have thought that you had a piano seeing as Aunt Brie plays all the time", Logan said when he saw the baby grand was maneuvered down the stairs.

"Am I the only person that didn't know that my wife plays piano, Logan?"

"Well, you, Uncle Dan, Uncle Mike, and my dad, apparently.  The women and us kids all know.  I thought she would have told you that she plays."

David chuckled unhappily.  "You know what, before we get started down here, I need to talk to my wife.  Boys, help the delivery guys get that piano situated in the booth and I'll be right back." He headed for the stairs to get Brie.

--------------

When he rounded the corner into the kitchen, he spotted the person he was looking for.  "Oh, Brie, darling, I have a question for you", he said as he walked into the room.

"What's that, baby?"

"Since when do you play piano?"

She looked over at him from her SOAP notes and shrugged.  "Oh, it's been a while.  I've played since I was a kid.  I thought you knew."

"Umm, NO.  You neglected to inform me of that little tidbit fourteen years ago."

She smiled at him as she set her pen down on the table.  "Do you want a little demonstration?"

"If you don't mind", he laughed.

She leaned in and placed a kiss on his lips.  "Let me finish my notes from this massage I just did and walk the client out and I'll play a little something for you."

He smiled.  "I'll be downstairs with Reckless Disregard.  I'll see you in a few."  He kissed her temple and left the room. 

As he headed down the stairs he heard his wife's sweet professional voice float through the air.  "How are you feeling, Mrs. Daniels?  Feeling a little better than when we started, I hope.  Here's some water for you.  I want you to be sure to drink plenty of water the rest of the day, ok?"  He couldn't help but smile as he jogged down the stairs to wait.

-------------

Brie walked down the stairs laughing.  "I could have sworn I told you that I play piano, David", she called. 

"Just get your beautiful ass down here and show me that you DO play", he called back.

She walked into the booth where everyone was crowded around the piano and took a seat at the bench.  She warmed up her fingers then started to play as she sang a song that David hadn't heard in years. "Don't cry to me, if you loved me you would be here with me, You want me, Come find me, Make up you MIND!  Couldn't take the blame, Sick with shame, Must be exhausting to lose your own game, Selfishly hated, No wonder you're jaded, You can't play the victim this time!  And you're too late, Don't cry to me, If you loved me you would be here with me, You want me, Come find me, Make up your MIND!"  She did a run up and down the keys, then placed her hands in her lap.

Everyone under the age of 21 in the room applauded.  David just stared.  "How could I have missed this in fourteen years of marriage?"

"You spent a lot of that either trying to end a war or on tour, love.  I probably should have told you, and for that I apologize."

"You know I can't stay mad at you no matter how hard I try, so you're already forgiven."

She laughed.  "I'm going to go back upstairs and get ready for my next appointment.  Tina's flying down for her monthly massage and she'll be here soon.  And before you ask, David, she's Mikey free this time around."

He laughed.  "How do you know me so well?"

She stood from the bench.  "You broadcast rather loudly, my love."  She stole a kiss and headed up the stairs.

He stared into space for a few moments, then blinked rapidly to bring himself back to reality.  When he did, he heard chuckling.  "What are you four laughing at?  We have work to do, or have you forgotten?"

----------------

Jordan sat at the piano with the headphones on as she waited for her father to give her the cue to start.  "Dad, how much longer?"

"Just about got the queue back up, Jordan.  Be patient."  It took a couple more moments and he came back over the intercom.  "Alright, Jordan, wow me."

She chuckled to herself as she started playing the piano part to "Imaginary" and started singing.  "Ahhh, ahhh, ahhh, ahhh, paper flowers!  Ahhh, ahhh. ahhh, ahhh, paper flowers!  I linger in the doorway, of alarm clock screaming, monsters calling my name, let me stay, Where the wind will whisper to me, Where the raindrops as they're falling tell a story,

"In my field of paper flowers, And candy clouds of lullaby (flowers), I lie inside myself for HOURS, and watch my purple sky fly over me (flowers)

"Don't say I'm out of touch, With this rampant chaos, your reality, I know well what lies beyond my sleeping refuge, The nightmare I built my own world to escape

"In my field of paper FLOWERS, and candy clouds of lullaby (flowers), I lie inside myself for HOURS, and watch my purple sky fly over me (flowers)

"Swallowed up in the sound of my screaming, Cannot cease for the fear of silent nights, Oh, how I long for the deep sleep dreaming, the Goddess of Imaginary light

"In my field of paper FLOWERS, and candy clouds of lullaby (flowers), I lie inside myself for HOURS, and watch my purple sky fly over me (flowers), (Paper flowers!)
"

Her eyes opened slowly as she finished the song and she looked into the the control booth.  "How was that, Dad?"

"I think Amy Lee would be proud, Jordan.  That was mind blowing."

No comments:

Post a Comment