Sunday, November 14, 2010

Chapter 6


I’m just holding on to let them know, what’s given to me, given to me, To hide behind mask this time, and try to believe, If I can remember to know this will conquer me, If I can just walk alone and try to escape into me, Into me, Into me”, Jordan belted.  “Remember” was one of her all time favorite Disturbed songs.  That’s why she picked it.

Caleb looked at Jordan in shock.  “HOLY SHIT!  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?” he shouted.

Jordan smiled.  “I come from talented parents like Malachai and you’re shocked that I can carry a tune in a wet paper sack and not let the bottom fall out?”

“It’s not that, Jordan.  Malachai wasn’t kidding when he said that you sound JUST like your mom.  Her voice is the perfect complement to your dad’s.  With Malachai sound JUST like your dad and you sounding JUST like your mom, do you realize that you’re the perfect complement to Malachai?”

Malachai and Jordan both blinked at Caleb after exchanging a look.  “Your point is?” she asked.

“I say you’ve got the spot.  It’s up to your brother now.”

“What do you say, ‘Chai?”

“Jord, I wouldn’t have offered you the spot if I didn’t think you could cut it.  He mentioned female vocalist, and you were the first person that popped into my head.”

“Really?”  She was flattered.

“Yeah, Jordan.  You were my first thought.  I know you can sing, like all of our family.  You’ve got the spot if you want it.”

“Are you kidding me?! Of course I want the spot!”  She threw her arms around Malachai’s neck and hugged him.  “Thank you, bro!  You have NO IDEA what this means to me!”

--------------

Jordan took off her heels when they got home and ran into the house.  The heels came off so that she didn’t bust her ass when she ran in.  “MOM!  DAD!  I GOT THE SPOT!” she screamed as she ran into the living room.

David and Brie smiled at their oldest daughter.  “That’s great, baby!” Brie said.

“Way to go, Jordan!” David said.

She sat down in one of the plush arm chairs across from the couch that her parents and crossed her long legs.  “I actually have you two to thank for it.  If it weren’t for you two getting busy the talented young woman sitting in this chair wouldn’t be here”, she laughed.

David covered his face with his free hand and laughed.  Brie buried her face in her husband’s shoulder and giggled.  “Are you fucking kidding me, Jordan Hannah?” David said, barely able to breathe from the laughter.   “If it weren’t for us getting busy?  Where the hell do you kids learn this shit?”

“School.”

“Remind me to write a letter to the school board”, Brie said breathlessly from the laughter.

---------------

The Draiman house was alight with joy that night.  For the first time since losing Devon, Malachai felt a little bit of hope for his pet project.  All they had to do now was endure was two days of auditions for a new bass player.  He couldn’t wait until Logan arrived.  He knew that Logan would kick ass, but they still had to hear everyone out.

Malachai spent the evening teaching Jordan the song he’d written that morning.  She picked it up rather quickly.  He sat and played as she sang the song.  It put a smile in his heart to hear his little sister singing his song.  She put a spin on it that he never could have put on it himself.  It had to be that fact that she was a girl and she could better capture the emotion he wanted there.  Whatever it was, he was glad that she could do it.

Jordan was walking on clouds the entire night.  Her usual strut had disappeared for the most part when she was around her family and NOT wearing heels.  She’d only started wearing the heels because they put her at her father’s height of 5’8”.  Without the high heels, she was as short as her mother.  No taller than 5’4”.  Her mother was okay with being short, but Jordan wasn’t.  Jordan liked being tall, even though she knew that the heels were killing her feet.  There wasn’t a day that went by that her mother didn’t tell her that the heels she wore on a daily basis were going to ruin her feet one day.  Jordan didn’t care.  She just wanted to be tall.

After a week of nightmares, Malachai finally slept through the night.  He’d thoroughly worn himself out between writing a new song, giving his sister an audition then teaching her that song, and thinking about whether or not he wanted to pursue looking for his birth father.  He knew that the man he called dad was his legal father in every way shape and form.  He was considering looking for the person that helped his mother bring him into the world because he needed to know why that bastard was never around and how he could let another man raise his son.  He wanted to know, but he wasn’t desperate to know yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment