Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Chapter 17

No sooner than David and Malachai walked in the door, Jordan was bombarding Malachai with one question in particular.  "Malachai, can I talk to you in another room?"

"Can't we talk in front of Mom and Dad?"

"No."

"Can it wait until I put my bag up?"

"We can talk WHILE you put your bag up."

He sighed.  "Fine, Jordan.  Walk with me talk with me."

She followed him up to his room.  Once they were out of their father's hearing range, she finally spoke.  "Ok, so, Caleb, Logan and I talked while you were out of town and we think that we should start trying to work on a demo."

"Have you lost your FUCKING MIND, Jordan?"

"No."

"Ok, did you forget that getting dad to produce it will be like getting a root canal?  I know that's your plan."

"I'm his baby girl.  He'll do anything for me."

"Umm, NO, Jordan,.Dad's baby girl is Jessi,  You're ONE of his baby girls, but THE baby gril is our baby sister Jessykah.  And remember, we're only TWO of TEN.  He and Mom already struggle to divide their time between all ten of us."

"And all Dad will need to hear is me belting out one of his songs and he'll cave."

Malachai stared at his sister.  "You really think so, Jordan?"

"Yeah, Malachai, I think so."

Malachai chuckled.  "Ok, little sister.  If tou really think you can pull that off, let me put my clothes up and we'll go downstairs so that YOU can convince Dad to produce our demo."

--------------

Jordan led the way down the stair with her older brotehr hot on her heels.  "Dad, where are you and what are you doing right this moment?" she called as she neared the bottom of the stairs.

"Your mother and I are eating lunch together on the back patio, Jordan.  Why?" he called back.

She lead Malachai back to the back patio where their parents were enjoying a bowl of salad and a cold soup fro lunch.  "Dad, we have a question", Jordan said when they reached the patio.

"It's more like SHE has a question and I'm here for moral support", Malachai clarified.

David looked from his oldest daughter to his oldest child and back to his daughter.  "Ok.  What is the question, Jordan?"

Jordan shot her brother a dirty look over her shoulder"We want to cut a demo and we wanted to see if you would produce it", she said said.

David looked at Jordan with a blank face.  "Really?  Do you realize that your mother and I have our plates pretty full trying to juggle ten of you?"

"Yes, sir, I understand that."

He took a deep breath.  "Fine.  Impress me." He kept his voice as empty as he could as he looked at his children.

"What?"

"If you want me to produce your demo, then you're going to have to earn it.  Just because you're my child doesn't mean that anything is granted for you.  Impress me, Jordan Hannah, and sing."

"Anything in particular?"

"Just start singing something before I go on ahead and say hell no."

Jordan took a deep breath and closed her eyes as she started belting out "The Infection".  "In the back of my mind I can barely even remember when there was nothing let to hide and she had found her way inside then, I was forced to walk alone, living in an empty home, All I wanted was to hide and try to numb the ache inside and I'm still afraid of the light, and a thousand voices share their laughter at my demise!  Now if I am to survive, the Infection must DIE, Murder the beast that's been eating me alive!  The Infection must DIE!"

David cut her off before she could continue the song.  "Pick something else, Jordan.  I know you can sing melodically.  Can you sing rhythmically?"

She took another deep breath and started singing "The Animal".  "I can feel the Animal inside, my resolve is weakening, Pounding on the doors of my mind, It's nearly OVERPOWERING!  I cannot begin to describe the hunger that I feel again, run if you intend to survive for the Beast is coming to life, Taking more than the glimmer of this tainted moonlight, Death approaches ON THIS NIGHT!  For the Animal's soul is MINE!  We will be completed right before your eyes!  I have no control this time!  And NOW, we both shall dine IN HELL TONIGHT!!!"

David cut her off again.  "Sing something that's NOT Disturbed."

She took a quick breath before switching to 'Numb" by Linkin Park.  "I'm tired of being what you want me to be, Feeling so faithless lost under the surface, Don't know what you're expecting of me, Put under the pressure of walking in your shoes, (Caught in the undertow just caught in the undertow), Every step that I take is another mistake to you, (Caught in the undertow just caught in the undertow), I've become so numb I can't feel you there, Become so tired so much more aware, I'm becoming this all I want to do, Is be more like me and be less like you."

David cut her off and applauded.  "Nicely done, Jordan.  I expect you to put Linkin Park's 'Numb' on the demo.  We start production tomorrow morning no later than nine o'clock.  Tell Logan and Caleb to be here early so that they can start tracking."

They both nodded and ran out of the room.  "Holy shit, Malachai, did that just happen?"

"Oh, I think it did, Jordan, but I also have the distinct feeling that I'm dreaming."

"Oh, I don't think we're dreaming.  How about you pinch me and if it hurts I'll know I'm awake."

No comments:

Post a Comment