Friday, November 26, 2010

Chapter 24

Piano music rang through the house that night accompanied by soft singing.  David got up to investigate.  As he walked the house, he decided to go down to the studio.  As he walked closer to the door he smiled at what he heard.  He went quietly down the stairs and the playing and singing got a little louder with every step.  As he rounded the corner to the booth, he stopped and stared at the person singing.  Her eyes were closed and she put everything into the words she sang. 

As the final note in the song rang, she opened her eyes and closed the lid on the piano as she stood and went for the door, only to walk right into David.  "BOO", he said.

She looked startled.  "Shit, Daddy, I didn't see you there."

He smiled at the girl.  "Jordan, the next time you want to sneak down to the studio to play in the middle of the night, close the door.  It's sound proof down here."

She smiled.  "I can't sleep, Dad.  Is it like this for you after you get off stage?"

He laughed.  "Are you kidding me?  Ask your mom how bad I am when I come home after a show.  Not only can I not sleep, she can't get me to relax for shit, Jord.  It takes her all night to get me to settle down enough to sleep."

She smiled.  "Are you really that bad?"

He nodded.  "Absolutely.  I buzz with energy from the time I walk off the stage to the time she finally wears me out enough to fall asleep.  I'm a nightmare, believe me."

"I'll be sure to ask Mom about that in the morning."

"You do that, Jordan.  Now, go on back to bed."

"I'm not in trouble?"

"For what?  Trying to find a way to let off some steam after a performance?"

"For not being in bed the early in the morning."

"Well, if you don't go get in bed NOW, or shut the door after I leave so that you don't wake the entire household, then you will be in serious trouble should I have to get up again.  Luckily, I'm the only one that's woke up so far and your mom sleeps like the dead."

"Yes, sir.  I'm on my way to bed now, Dad."  She stretched up to place a kiss against his cheek before going up the stairs to head to her room, her dad right behind her.

----------------

David slipped quietly back in bed with Brie.  She stirred slightly, her eyes coming open in pale moonlight.  "What got you out of bed so early, David?"

"Jordan was down in the studio playing the piano and singing.  She's still wound up from their show tonight."  He settled back into the bed.

She laid her head against his chest.  "She needs a hobby", she said with a chuckle.

"I know.  I told her to ask you what kind of hell I am after a show."

"Oh, dear god, you're horrible after a show.  I spend all night getting you to wind down so that you can sleep."

"I told Jordan that.  She said that she'd ask you about it."

Brie laughed.  "Nice!  Don't expect me to tell her the details."

"I would honestly hope that you wouldn't tell her all the details.  Those might scar her for life."

--------------

Jordan laid in bed with her mp3 player blasting in her ears.  She was still stoked, so she decided to wind down the best way she knew how.  She blasted her father's band in her ears and laid in bed reading a book.  Multitasking always made her tired.

It wasn't long before her eyes started to droop closed.  She set her book down on her night stand and closed her eyes, leaving her music in as she sang quietly along to a song that both of her parent sang not only to her, but to her younger siblings as well.  "I will Devour you, Take all the pain away, I cannot stay my hand from reaching out so that I can empower you, For all eternity, It seems to ease my mind to know that you brought meaning to my life."
And with that, she fell asleep.



No comments:

Post a Comment