Monday, November 22, 2010

Chapter 12

Malachai sat and listened to the conversation his mother had with his uncle that afternoon. Malachai eavesdropped to see how his mpther truly felt about biological father.   "John, Malachai wants to go looking for his birth father", she said

"Ooh, ouch.  How does David feel about it?" John asked

"He seems to be fine with it; like he knew this day would come or something."

"Why does that sound like David?"

"Because it IS David we're talking about."

John laughed.  "True that.  Alright, sis, what do you needf from me, sis?"

"I need to you locate the thing that happens to share half a genetic code with my son so that said child can find him and ask the piece of shit his questions."  Brie had no idea that Malachai was listening in on her conversation.

"Give me the information you have and I'll put it in the magic internet machine to find the poor fucker."  Brie rattled off the information that she had and John typed.  "Let's give the computer just a moment to catch up to itself and we'll see what the inter- web has on Jason Francis Iverson."  There was a brief silence before John came back on.  "OK, sis, here's what I found based on the information yiou gave me.  Jason F. Iverson is currently a resident of Killeen, Texas.  do you have a pen and a sheet of paper ready so that I can give you the address?"

"Yeah, John, go ahead."

"1567 Topeka Ave.  I can email you a map if you like."

"Yeah, please do that.  I'll give Malachai what you found for me.  Thanks, John.  I really apprieciate this."

"No problem, Brie.  I just recently had to do the same thing for Logan on his birthfather."

"I had no idea.  How did that go?"

"Logan won't talk about it, so it couldn't have gone well.  He knows that should he want to talk about it, he can talk to his mother and I."

"I hope Logan got the answers he was looking for."

"I hope Malachai gets what he's looking for as well, Brie.  If that piece of shit hurts my nephew in anyway, I hope he realizes the hell that will come down on his head from not only David, but the rest of us as well."

--------------

After she hung up with John, Brie called for Malachai.  He shook his head as he walked into the Kitchen where his mother sat.  "You really don't like my birth father, do you, Mom?"

She smiled at him, having the grace to look embarrassed.  "I'm sorry, son, but no, I don't.  I hate him as a matter of fact.  But, MY opinion of his should affect yours.  You need to form your own opinion of him."

Malachai laughed.  "HAs Dad ever met Jason?"

Brie thought about that for a moment.  "Once, I think, at a concert.  Jason got backstage passes and decided to try to talk to your dad.  He asked him how he liked having his sloppy seconds and your Dad put his lights out."

"Jason Iverson sounds like a real bastard."

"He can be, son, but as I said, don't let your Dad's opinion, or mine for that matter, affect yours.  You need to form your opinion based on what you learn on your visit."  She slid him the piece of paper that had the address on it.  "Here's what your Uncle John foiund for me."

Malachai looked at the piece of paper and was unsure what to do with it.  "Thanks, I guess."

Brie smiled at her son.  "Do you want me to book your plane ticket to Killeen?"

"Please, Mom."  He took a deep breath.  "Could you or Dad come with me?"

Brie swallowed.  "Let me talk to your Dad about that and I'll get back to you.  Is that ok?"

He smiled.  "Thanks, Mom.  Oh, have I told you recently that I love you?"

"No, you haven't.  And it doesn't hurt to hear it often, either, Malachai."

He laughed.  "Yes, ma'am.  I'll be sure to try to tell you more often."

--------------

Malachai tried to get through rehersal that day but he had a million other things on his mind.  "Malachai, get your head out of your ass and focus on what we're doing!" Jordan yelled at him.  "If Uncle Danny were to hear the way you're playing, he'd kick your ass.  What's the problem, big brother?"

"I've got a lot on my mind, Jord.  I'm sorry, guys.  I think we should just call it a day.  I need to talk to Mom and Dad about something, anyway."

"No problem, bro", Caleb said.  "Go talk to yopur folks.  He looked ast Jordan.  "Try to cut your brother a little bit of slack, Jord.  He's got a lot on his plate withe now."

"I'll try, Caleb, but I'm not makig any promises."

No comments:

Post a Comment