Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Chapter 16

David called the airline to see if there were any way to move their tickets to leave on the next available flight to DIA from Waco.  He thought it was best to get Malachai back home as soon as possible.  After thirty minutes of fighting with the airline to move their tickets and losing, David called Brie after getting out of Malachai's ear shot.  "It didn't go very well, honey", David said as he poured himself a drink from the minibar.


"What happened?" she asked.

 "Jason was a prick just like we knew he would be", David said.  "But, Malachai did just like we taught him.  He didn't take shit from that dick head, nor did he let the fact that Iverson is his biological father intimidate him."

"What did that bastard say about me?"

"He called you a whore and it was all I could do not to kill that mother fucker.  But, I think Malachai handled it just fine.  He put a curse of some sort on him, I think.  Malachai told that man that held never know true happiness, that he was a worthless piece os shit and that he hoped he rotted in hell."

"Whoa, that's heavy.  Sounds a lot like something Malachai would say though."

"We raised him well, Brie.  I see it more and more every time that boy opens his mouth."

"So, seeing as the meeting with Jason didn't go very well, when should I expect you two home?"

"Not until tomorrow, sweetie.  I'd love to be home before then, but the airline is being a pain in my ass right now."

"How's our boy holding up after the meeting with Jason?"

"He hasn't spoken since we got back to the hotel.  I'm a little worried about it."

"See if he'll talk to me on the phone.  Maybe I can get him to open up."

David shrugged even though he knew she couldn't see him.  "I guess we could give it a try."  He walked to the room where his son was sitting and watching something on TV.  "Hey, Malachai, you feel like talking to your mom?"

Malachai shook his head.  "No, I'm okay now, Dad.  I just needed a little time to process what happened.  You and Mom don't' need to worry about.  I'm fine now."

David let out a surprise laughed. "Alrightly then."  He walked back out of the room.  "I guess the though tof having to talk to you shocked him back into talking or he he processed it all and he's over it."

"I doubt he's over it, but by now he's let it all sink in and decided that he's okay with it."

"Well, as long as he talking again, I don't care.  I just want him to speak.  He's had me worried since we walked into the hotel room and he refused to speak"

"He's fine, David.  I remember a certain someone needing a little bit to process the news when I told him I was pregnant for the first time."

"Gee, thanks for reminding me of that.  I totally forgot.  NOT!  I remember full and well what happened the day you told me you were pregnant with Jacob and Jordan."

She laughed.  "I know you remember, honey.  All I was getting at was that the way he responded to that happened was natural.  That's all."

David sighed,. "I know, but he's my boy and I worry about him.  He is my mini me after all."

--------------

They met their flight bright and early the next morning to head home.  The moment they touched down and got off the plane, Malachai was being bombarded with phone calls from Caleb asking how it went.  "Seriously, bro, I really don't want to talk about it.  What's done is done and I'm over it now.  I actually slept last night.  I don't want to drag it up and end up restless again.  Let sleeping dogs lie, bro."

"But I want to know what happened."

"In essence, I told him to fuck off and go to hell.  Happy now?"

"Yep.  That's all I wanted to know."

No comments:

Post a Comment