Sunday, November 14, 2010

Chapter 5

Malachai played the song he’d just written for Caleb, singing along as he played.  Caleb had his sticks in his hands and was playing the air drums as Malachai played.  When the song was over, Caleb looked at Malachai with wide eyes.  “What on Earth possessed you to write that?”

“I had a dream about Devon and talked it out with my Dad.  Turns out that ‘Inside the Fire’ was based on an ex- girlfriend of his that committed suicide.”

“What does that have to do with anything?”

Malachai told him the story that his dad had told him the night before.  “So, Dad encouraged me to write it out and put it to music.  I was up all night writing the lyrics and spent most of the morning putting it to music.”

“And I see that your dad let you borrow his bike which is fucking gorgeous!  Tell your Dad I want his motorcycle.”

“Yeah, over your dead body.  Now, what do you say we get to work and put a drum beat to my masterpiece?”

Caleb laughed.  “Always wanting to get down to business.  You really ARE a Draiman, aren’t you?”

“That’s my name, don’t wear it out, fucker”, Malachai said and strapped his guitar on.  Caleb pulled up a stool behind his drum kit and looked at Malachai.  “Ready when you are, brother.”  Malachai counted it off and started the haunting intro.  When Caleb felt it was right, he added a heavy drum beat to the song.  Malachai sang into the microphone.  There were a few points where Malachai called a cut and offered suggestions to Caleb on how to improve the song, then they would pick it up and Caleb would try it out.  If he like it, it would stay.  If he didn’t, he tossed it completely or tried another variation.  After a couple of hours, they had the drum beat perfected.

“So, when are we auditioning your sister for the vocalist part?” Caleb asked when they took a break.

“Probably this afternoon or tomorrow.  Seeing as it IS Friday and their last day of school for the year, I’m sure my parents wouldn’t object to either day.”

“What about your cousin Logan?”

“He should be here in the next couple of days and he’s not REALLY my cousin.  He’s my Dad’s bassist’s oldest son.  We grew up together.  During the Utopian regime, the band and their families were in hiding.   That’s how I know Logan.  He’s a really good bassist, just like his dad.”

“Have you played with him before?”

“When we’d have Family Jam Sessions, yeah.  I would sing, he’d play bass, Justin Donegan- Dan Donegan’s son- would play guitar, and usually Simon Wengren- Mike Wengren’s youngest son, I think- would play drums.  One night, we did ‘Leave It Alone’ and it sounded phenomenal.”

“So, what do you want to do until Logan gets here?”

“Audition the other bassists.  Let them have an opportunity to blow us away.  I haven’t seen a lot of Logan over the last five years so I don’t know if he can still play or how good he is so he might not make the cut.”
“Then why don’t we audition Jordan today after she gets out of school, then tomorrow, we can start listening to the potential bassists.”

“Dude, are we REALLY auditioning Jordan or do you just want to hear her sing to prove that she’s as good as I say she is?”

Caleb laughed.  “Are you always so cynical?”

“I guess it runs in the family.”

--------------

Malachai went home and waited for Jordan to come home from school.  He’d talked to his parents about him talking Jordan to sing for Caleb.  “He just wants to see if she sings as well as I say she does.”

David laughed.  “Not shocked in the least.  I’m blessed that ALL Of my children are musically gifted.”

“Damn, Dad, you say that as if you had NOTHING to do with it.”

“Oh, I know I did, except where you’re concerned.  I honestly think that your musical talent is thanks to your mother and that fact that you were raised around the band.”

“You know, Dad, I’ve been thinking about looking for my birth father.  Not sure why right now, but since the end of last month, it’s crossed my mind a few times.”

David shrugged.  “That’s to be expected, Malachai.  I’m sure you have questions that you want answered and he’s the only person that can give them to you.  I certainly can’t answer those questions and neither can your Mom.  If you decide to go looking for him, give your mother and I a little advanced warning.  I think your mom has a little bit of information that can help you find him.”

Malachai smiled sadly.  “Thanks, Dad.  I’ll let you know what I decide.  I haven’t decided if I want to find him yet or not.  In some ways, I do because I want to know why he was never there, but I’m not sure if I really want to know.”

David nodded.  “I understand, son.  Like I said, just let your mom and I know what you decide.  Personally, I see no problem with you going to finding him.  If it makes life a little easier for you to know why he pretty much abandoned you and your mother, I’ll be fine with you going to find out.”

“Thanks again, Dad.  So, to recap, I can take Jordan to sing for Caleb and you’re okay with me looking for my birth father should I decide to.”

David nodded.  “Sounds about right to me.”

--------------

Jordan had perfected her rock star strut.  David couldn’t help but laugh every time she walked into a room.  “Jordan Hannah, if you shake that thing any harder you might break it, child.”

“I can’t help that I’m a sexy bitch, Dad.  It’s all yours and mom’s fault that I look this good”, she said with a laugh.

“No wonder there’s no conceit in this family; YOU, my darling daughter, have it all.”

“Dad, I’m a good looking girl and I know it.  What’s more, I’m the oldest daughter of a fucking rock star.  What guy in their right mind that’s my age WOULDN’T want me?”

“Like I said, Jordan, no wonder there’s no conceit in our family.  You have it all.  Now, if you want to audition for Malachai’s band, you need to go get out of your school clothes and into something fit for a rock star.  Malachai’s ready to take you over so that you can audition.  Warning:  you might NOT want to a skirt.  He’s taking you over there on my bike.”

“So, wear blue jeans and a rockin’ tank top.  Got it, Dad.  Thanks for the heads up.”  She walked upstairs to her room and changed her clothes, then went back downstairs to meet her older brother.  She wore blue jeans that looked like they had been painted on, a tank top with a HUGE cross on the front and a pair of black heels.  “Ready when you are, ‘Chai.”

Malachai looked up at his little sister.  “Shit, Jord, you going on a date?”

“Only with Jonathan Moyer when Uncle John comes up with him and Logan”, she laughed melodically.

Malachai rolled his eyes and grabbed the keys to their father’s motorcycle.  “Whatever, Jordan.  Let’s get this over with.”

No comments:

Post a Comment