Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Chapter 18

"My Dad's going to want us to do stuff that we haven't heard our entire lives, Logan", Malachai said as he hooked his guitar up to his amp.  "He might let us do ONE Disturbed song, but that's it."

"Fuck!" Logan said out loud.  "Uncle David's not playing around, is he?"

"NO", Jordan said as she looked at her cell phone.  "He just texted me to tell me that he wants us to find something that will demonstrate my vocal range."

"Like what?" Caleb asked from behind his drum kit.

"I was thinking we could go REALLY old school and do Pat Benetar, but Jordan doesn't know anything about Pat Benetar", Malachai joked.

"I know 'Hit Me With Your Best Shot' and that's it.  I was thinking something along the lines of a group with a female front person that was popular when Disturbed got started."

"Who, Jord?"

"Evanescence.  I want to tackle 'My Immortal'.  If that doesn't challenge my vocal range then I don't know what will."

"Who do you know that listens to Evanescence?" Logan asked.

"My Mom. Mom walks around the house humming 'My Immortal' at least once a week."

The boys all exchanged a look.  "Alright.  Do you guys know 'My Immortal'?" Malachai asked. They all nodded.  "Alright, let's do this then."

Jordan toyed a little with a keyboard that had been brought for her to play.  "Let's go, boys.  I want to get through this one and do one more song by the same band.  Please tell me that you boys know 'Imaginary'."

"We know that one, too, sis.  Don't worry.  But, if I remember correctly, 'My Immortal is pretty much piano.  Can you even play that thing?" Malachai teased.

She flipped him off then played "Fur Elise" in a quick run through before transitioning into "My Immortal."

----------------

Jordan and Malachai were too excited that evening at dinner the nothing Mr. Downer- Jacob- could say would have ruined their mood.  There came a point in all his bitching that Maddie had to say something.  "When do you leave for Chicago, Jacob?" she asked as she took a bite of her pasta.

"In two days."

"It's not soon enough.  You bitch more than anyone should have the right to.  Geez, Jake.  Just stop talking."

David and Brie exchanged a look then looked from Maddie to Jake,  "What the hell?" they asked in unison.

"I think we can all agree that 'Dr. Draiman' over here has hit the final nerve with all of his bitching.  His leaving for Chicago can't get here fast enough."

"Oh, I agree, Madison.  Jacob needs to lighten up, that's for sure", Brie said then she looked at Jacob.  "I think we all realize that what you're doing is important to you, Jacob, but there comes a time when you obsess too much and everyone gets tired of hearing you.  If something is bothering you, instead of voicing it where those who aren't affected  by whatever the problem is can hear it, why don't you come to me or your father and complain and let us handle if for the next two days.  You're starting to piss everyone off, Jacob Micah."

"I'm sorry that my brothers and sisters can't take the criticism.  Maybe they need to all grow the hell up, Mom", Jake responded.

"Maybe you need to eat a fucking knuckle sandwich, Jake", Jordan replied.  "I'm getting to the point where I don't even want to claim you as my twin, let alone my brother, you jack ass."

"Well, if your head were somewhere other than the clouds, you MIGHT see that I'm right, Jordan."

"ENOUGH!" David said.  "Jacob, shut the hell up.   You are hereby forbidden to bitch at ALL for the rest of the time you're here.  If you open your mouth ONE MORE MOTHER FUCKING TIME to BITCH about ANYTHING, you're not going to Chicago.  You're not going anywhere but to the back yard to clean the pool and hot tub.  Do I make myself PERFECTLY fucking clear, Jacob Micah?"

Jake's eyes grew wide and he looked at his father as though the man were possessed.  "You're kidding."

"Does the look on my face LOOK like I'm joking?"

Jake swallowed his pulse.  "No sir."

"Then am I kidding?"

"No, sir."

"Then shut the hell up and eat your fucking dinner."  David took a sip of the Sangria that he and Brie were having with dinner after taking a deep breath to calm his nerves.

Jake sat in sulking silence and stared at his parents.  He couldn't believe that his father had just forbade him from complaining.  Surely he didn't complain that much.  His siblings were just being oversensitive. At least I have a goal in life", he thought as he at his dinner  "I'm not chasing some ignorant dream to be a rock star.  Like that's ever going to happen for Jordan and Malachai.  Just because Dad's a rock star doesn't mean THEY'RE going to be rock stars.  I wish they would grow the hell up, but that's one wish that's never going to come true.

--------------

The next morning, Jordan met her father in the basement studio so that she could get started tracking "My Immortal".  She was ready to impress her dad with what she chose to challenge her voice.  "You ready to sing for me this morning, Jordan?" David asked her when he came down the stairs to find her sitting at the board.

"Yeah, but I noticed that you don't have a piano down here and I need a piano, Dad."

"Can you even play the piano?"

"Is the Pope Catholic, Dad?"

"Yeah, the Pope is Catholic, but that doesn't mean you can play piano."

"Get me a piano down here and I'll knock your socks off, Daddy.  Mom taught me well."

He smiled.  "Well, if your mother taught you how to play piano, then there's one more thing I didn't know about her and we've been married for almost 14 years."

"Well, Dad, I guess that she's kept that secret from you for fourteen years, because she's the person that taught me how to tickle the ivories."

David couldn't help but smile at his daughter.  "I'll get you a piano down here, Jordan, but you have to impress the hell out of me on that damn thing." He pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and called the music company he went through to get ll of his equipment and asked them to deliver a baby grand piano to his basement recording studio that day.  After all the formalities were taken care of, he hung up and looked at his daughter.  "You owe me HUGE for this, Jordan Hannah.  You had better impress me or that damn piano goes RIGHT back to the store."

No comments:

Post a Comment