Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Chapter 81

When David awoke the next morning, he had a huge smile on his face.  He’d talked to the woman that put a smile on his face no matter how upset or angry he was the night before and they’d made definite plans to have a night out alone while she and the kids were in Chicago.  He’d make it a point to take her to one of his favorite places to eat; then they’d do the cheesiest of the cheesy and go to a movie afterward.  That night would be pure bliss for the both of them.

The smile on his face as he drank his morning coffee was short lived as he watched the news that morning.  In the coverage there was a press conference for a band named Reckless Disregard.  He knew them all too well.  As he watched the coverage, he listened carefully to what the curly haired girl named Jordan had to say.  He listened to her explanation of the symbol that hung in the air behind them.  A reckless disregard for the rules and authority, huh? He thought to himself as he stood from his seat and grabbed his phone from the bedside table.  Jordan Hannah, are in more trouble that you could possibly imagine.  He dialed her number from memory.  When she answered, he let her know exactly what he was thinking.  “A reckless disregard for the rule and authority, huh, Jordan?  That’s what that little symbol of yours means?” he said.

“What are you talking about, Dad?” she asked.

“I just saw your press conference from yesterday, Jordan Hannah.”

She sighed.  “Yes, but that’s part of what it means, Dad.  The other part is something you’ve been preaching since I can remember.  Nonconformity, being an individual.”

He stroked his chin with his forefinger and thumb.  “Jordan, you were also rather disrespectful to a lot of those reporters yesterday.  I know I’ve always taught you to speak your mind, but did you REALLY have to tell the first reporter that she was, and I quote, ‘ignorant as fuck’?”

“Dad, she was asking Malachai and me about our relationship to you.  As if our last names AREN’T proof enough that we’re related to you SOMEHOW.  So, yes, I called her ignorant.”

David sighed.  “I know how your mother and I raised all of you kid as far as how to speak is concerned, but remember that the way you speak to people- especially now that you’re in the public eye and baring my name- reflects directly back onto me.  Now, do you want the world to think that I raised an ill- educated, foul mouthed heathen or a highly educated young woman who knows how to show some form of respect and how to hold her tongue in a public venue?”

“But, Dad, you’ve always taught us that just because someone’s station says that they deserve respect doesn’t mean that they automatically get it.”

“And the same is to be said about your band.  Just because you’re my children doesn’t mean that you get an automatic open door everywhere you go.  If you want the support of the fans, then they have to hear about you somehow.  The media is how they hear about you.  If you pop off at reporters then you run the risk of them writing unflattering reviews on you and you can kiss your career good bye.  When you do your radio show later, you WILL put this right or I WILL pull you off of this publicity tour.  Do I make myself perfectly clear, Jordan Hannah Draiman?”

She sighed, her spirit crushed.  “Yes, sir.”

“Good, now put Malachai on the phone.”  She did what her father asked and gave the same speech to his son.  The only reason he was angry at Malachai was because he didn’t rein his sister in.  “Malachai Aaron, what did I expressly ask you to do the DAY you all left for this tour you’re on?”

“Keep Jordan in line.”

“Do you feel like you’re accomplishing that goal after the press conference yesterday?”

“She hasn’t been any trouble, Dad.”

“OH?  And what about that shit she pulled yesterday during the press conference?”

“What do you mean?”

“I guess it didn’t occur to EITHER of you that the way you speak reflects on ME because it’s MY name you’re using, Malachai Aaron.”

“Shit”, he said with feeling under his breath.  “I’m sorry, Dad.  You’re right.”

“Now you see what I’m getting at?”

“Yes, sir.  I certainly do.”

“Then you’re going to make sure that Jordan puts this right during that radio show you’re doing later today, aren’t you?”

“Yes, sir.  I certainly am.”

“Good.  Now, I’ve got to get a shower and get ready to go to the studio.  I’ll call you later to see how that went.”

“Yes, sir.  I’ll be sure she does that.”

“Good.  I’ll talk to you later.”

“Bye, Dad.  We love you.”

“I love you kids too.  Behave yourselves.”

“Yes, sir.  Good bye.”

“Good bye.”  David hung up the phone and finished his coffee quietly.  He decided NOT to finish watching the news after he caught the weather.  After seeing that he didn’t need an umbrella, he was happy.  He went into the bathroom and got his shower, then dressed for the day.  Jeans, a t- shirt, and a jacket the windy, Chicago day in November would be fine.  Once he was dressed, he grabbed all the materials he’d need at the studio and went down to the lobby to catch a taxi to the studio so that the work on the new album could commence.

--------------

“What the hell were we thinking yesterday, Jordan?” Malachai ranted.

“I don’t know, Malachai.  I didn’t even think that what I said would come back on Dad.”

“Well, we should have.  I see that now.  And it’s just like everything that comes out of Logan’s mouth reflects on Uncle John.  Apparently, he remembered that but we certainly didn’t.  Dad has every RIGHT to be upset with us.”

“I know, Malachai.  I should have kept in mind that until we earn our stripes that I can’t just speak anyway I want.  I have to have a sense of decorum about me and I didn’t have that yesterday.  Dad was right to say what he did.”

“You’re going to put it right during the radio show later, right?”

“As close to right as I can, that’s for sure.  I don’t want to hear that tone of disappointment in Dad’s voice directed at me ever again.  That was harsh.  I want him to be proud of me, not upset with me.”  Her phone started blowing up in her pocket again.  She pulled it out and cursed out loud.  “FUCK! It’s Mom.  I’m in for it.”  She answered the phone again.  “Yes, Mom?”

“JORDAN HANNAH DRAIMAN, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!” she screeched into the phone.  Malachai even heard their mother and how upset she was.

“Mom, Dad’s already given me hell over the press conference yesterday.  He told me that everything I say reflects on him and that I have to make it right or I’m pulled from the tour.”  She paused as her mother ranted.  “Yes, ma’am, I understand.  I will.”  She looked at Malachai and mouthed, “Are you here?”  He shook his head.  “Mom, he’s not in the room right now.  I’ll tell him you called.  I think he’s getting something to eat.”  She paused again.  “Yes, ma’am.  I will.  I understand that if I don’t make this right somehow that I’m pulled from the tour not only on Dad’s orders, but on yours.  I’ll be on my best behavior from here on out.  I swear.  I don’t want to disappoint you and Dad again.  I know that I fucked up, Mom.  I’m going to do my best to correct my mistake.  I swear on everything I find holy and good in life that I’m going to set this straight.   Yes, ma’am, I love you too.  Bye.”  Jordan looked at Malachai.  “I’m dead if I don’t correct myself and make this right.”

--------------

He was finally back in the studio; in his element.  This was where he could bare what was in his soul and let all of the hurt, anger- whatever he was feeling- out and feel relief.  He sat in the studio and laid down the rough vocals and melodies that he’s already done as his brothers laid down the music for the songs in another part of the studio.  Once that was done, he sat down with the guys and worked on some of the more rough and difficult things for him to put on paper.  He knew what he WANTED the song to be, but what was in his heart wasn’t matching the music.  He let the guys know what was going on.  He let them know what he wanted from the song and asked them to help him make that dream come true.

But, in the back of his mind he was thinking about the ass chewing he’d given the oldest two of his children that morning as he got ready to go to work.  He thought about what he’s told his daughter to do to correct the crucial mistake she’d made the day before.  In the back of his mind, that conversation nagged at him.  Not for guilt, but for fear that his daughter wouldn’t do what she was told to do.  He knew how stubborn his child was.  He joked with his wife that their daughters were stubborn like she was, but he knew that her assessment was more accurate.  His daughters, all five of them, were bull headed just like he was.  He was stubborn and foul tempered; he knew this.  Thankfully, he wasn’t as much so now that he was getting older.  He was learning patience.

Slowly, he let his mind drift to happier thoughts.  He thought of the visit from his wife and children.  Three days of getting to show the younger seven of his children some of what Daddy was doing when he was away from them.  Five of the seven understood.  It was the youngest two that had no idea what Daddy really did for a living.  It was one thing to hear that he was a rock star.  It was a totally different thing for them to see what part of that entailed.  He smiled at the thought as he sat and ate a little lunch.  His smile turned to a grin as he thought of the night he would spend with his wife on their rare ‘date night’.  He was more than ready to show her some of his favorite places.  And, he was ready to show her that no matter where they were, he still loved her as much as he had the day he saved her life.

--------------

She sat in the green room to the radio station nervous as hell.  The words of her father ringing in her ears as she sat and twiddled her thumbs.  She was on edge about what the DJ might ask.  She was almost sure that the DJ would throw her words from yesterday in her face.  She’d just have to rely on the fact that she was as well spoken as her father, and to know what to say to get out of the trouble she’d unintentionally put her band in.  She just hoped that the linguistic skills she’d developed from years of hearing her father speak would pay off.

When they were called into the studio, she took a deep breath and stood.  She collected he thoughts as she walked with her band mates to the studio and put the head phones on after taking a seat at the microphone that hung in the air in front of her.  “Hey, hey, hey!  This is your boy, Greg Hanson, here with a group of up and comers that go by the name of Reckless Disregard.  If you could all introduce yourselves, for us please.  Starting with the young lady there on the end.”

And, so, the show was on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment