Saturday, December 11, 2010

Chapter 47

When David and Brie got home, David dealt with the Jessi and Jeremiah situation while Brie started lunch for everyone.  Both children were grounded to their rooms until they could learn to behave themselves and not fight.  They were only allowed out of their rooms for meals and for gift exchange.  “That means no toys, no nothing.  Do I make myself perfectly clear?” he said to his children

“Yes, sir”, they said in unison.

“You sit on your beds and think about how you’ve treated each other and how you’re going to be nice to each other from now on.  If I stop by your rooms to check on you and you’re playing with your toys, you’re in deep trouble.  Am I clear?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Good, now get up those stairs and to your rooms.  And I don’t want to hear a word about it.”  Jessykah and Jeremiah headed up the stairs and did what their father told them to do.  David went into the kitchen to where his wife made lunch and sighed.  “I love our children, I really do, but I’m about five seconds from grounding all of them that are still young enough to have to live at home”, he said as he propped himself up against the counter and folded his arms over his chest.

“What are they doing now, love?” Brie asked.

“Jessi and ‘Miah are fighting over a fucking toy truck, James and Meagan have been at each other’s throats all day for some reason, Jordan’s starting to get a big head from all of the publicity Reckless Disregard is getting, Jake’s being a little prick over his things… care to pick one?”  He heaved a heavy sigh.  “All I want is for them to get along for the holidays.  Is that too much to ask?”

She laid the spatula she was using to cook on the counter and laid a hand softly against the side of his face.  “Baby, it happens.  They’re kids.  As for Jake, he doesn’t like his medical books touched.  I can’t say I blame him.  Those are valuable references.  Now, Jordan, on the other hand; I’m almost tempted to tell her that she can’t perform on New Year’s Eve for that party if she doesn’t learn the meaning of the word humility.”

He captured her hand with his; trapping it next to his stubbled cheek as he rubbed it cheek against her palm.  He took in her scent with a deep breath and closed his eyes.  Something about the way she smelled always calmed him down when he was starting to get upset.  “That’s tempting in itself.  But, what are we going to do about all of the younger children fighting?”

“What did you do to Jeremiah and Jessykah?”

“Grounded them to their rooms.”

“Well, you could try that trick with Meagan and James.  It would certainly get their attention.”

He opened his eyes slowly, keeping her hand trapped next to his cheek.  “You wanna know what I’m thinking about doing?”

“What’s that?”

“Taking the entire family to Temple on Shabbat so that they learn how the hell they’re supposed to behave during the holidays.”

She smiled wickedly.  “That’s kind of evil, baby.  Only one of our children has ever been to Synagogue and that’s Malachai.”

“I know.”

“You want to make the boys wear the yarmulke and all that good shit?”

“It’s very tempting.  Maybe if I threaten them with it, they’ll all start behaving themselves so that they don’t have to go”, he said with a laugh.

“It’s worth a shot.  We’ve never threatened them with going to church before”, she said with a laugh.  “Why don’t we give it a try?”

--------------

At lunch, as everyone in the house ate, David made an announcement.  “Attention Draiman family:  We’re going to Temple on Shabbat.”

All of the Draiman children but Malachai complained.  “But, Dad…”

“You don’t want to go to church?” he asked his kids.

“NO!” they all shouted in unison.

“Ok, then if you don’t want to go to Synagogue, start acting like you’ve been taught how to behave and not like a bunch of heathens.  If this bad behavior continues, we will ALL be going to Temple on Friday night.  Am I understood?”

“Yes, sir!” they all called.

“Good, then I had better start seeing a drastic change in behavior from those of you that are still in school.”

Malachai looked at David.  “Dad, you know they think you’re evil right now, right?” he asked.

“Oh, I know, but does this face look like it cares?”

Malachai laughed.  “No.  I was just checking.”
“Something you’ll learn as a father, Malachai, is that you can’t always be their favorite person.  You can’t always be the good guy.  It’s a hard lesson to learn.  I hated it.  All I wanted to do was spoil the hell out of you seeing as you’re my first child, but I couldn’t because you were a rambunctious five year old.”  He took a bite of his lunch.

“Dad, I’m going to be up front with you.  I’m scared to death.  Is that normal?”

“More so than you would think.  I was scared to death but elated when your Mom told me that she was pregnant with your younger brother and sister.  I questioned the kind of father I’d be, whether or not I was ready to be a father; all that shit.  When your mother had that fainting spell at the mall, I finally realized at the hospital that I was more than ready.  I’d wanted a family and I had one with you and your mother.  I thought I was doing a pretty good job of raising you.  Hell, to this day I think I did a pretty damn good job.  I’m proud of the young man you’ve become and I’m proud to call you my son.  I know you’ll make a good father, Malachai.”

“I had a pretty good example as to how a father is supposed to behave.”

That made David smile.  “And THAT means more to me that you’ll ever know.”

------------------

The time came to pass out the Hanukkah gifts.  Malachai asked if it would be alright if he gave his gift to Amanda first.  When he was given the green light, he looked to his girlfriend.  “Mandy, you said earlier that you wanted to share my last name.  Did you mean that?”

“Yes, Malachai, I did.  I would love to share your last name.”

As Malachai slid down onto one knee, David leaned in to whisper to Brie.  “I knew this was coming.”

“Me too”, she whispered back.

“Amanda Diane David, I would be honored if you’d take my last name and be my wife.  Will you marry me, Amanda?”

Tears started streaming down her face or their own accord.  She was speechless.  When she finally gained control of her voice, she nodded rapidly and said, “Yes!  Yes, Malachai, I’ll marry you!” and extended her left hand to him.

He slid the tiny diamond ring onto her finger and she threw her arms around his neck.  “I love you, Mandy”, he whispered in her ear.

“I love you too, ‘Chai.  I was wondering when you’d finally ask me.”

“I was waiting for the perfect time.”  He looked over his shoulder to his parents.

David and Brie were all smiles.  “Mazltov”, David said as he raised the glass of wine he was drinking in his son’s direction.

“Congratulations, you two”, Brie said with a smile.  She whispered to David.  “Wow, this just keeps getting more and more interesting.  Not only are we going to be grandparents, but now we have a daughter in law.”

He laughed.  “No kidding.  I hope that everything I tried to teach that boy has sunk into his skull.  Judging from how Amanda acts, he’s going to need it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment