Sunday, December 19, 2010

Chapter 62


Abraham Sasser was NOT a man to be trifled with.  His expertise may have been criminal law, but he practiced every aspect of the law.  He was a true legal jack of all trades.  When he walked into the little boutique that his long time clients had asked him to, he walked in with an air of authority that could not and would not be questioned.  “David, Brie, what seems to be the problem here?” he asked when he spotted his clients.

“Well, Abe, this young lady here is in financial trouble and might just have to file bankruptcy should her sales not rise significantly.  We came in to buy clothes for our future grandchildren and she got rude.  I want to buy the store to keep her from having to file Chapter 11”, David explained.

“Even though she was rude?”  Abe looked at his long time friend and client with a question written all over his face.  Please tell me you’re joking, David, he thought in the back of his mind.  Then, he saw the look on David’s face.

“Do I LOOK like I’m kidding, Abe?”

He looked at the young lady in question.  “How do you feel about the acquisition, Miss?”

The young woman took a deep breath.  “If they think they can turn this place around, then I’m more than happy to sell to them.”

“WHY isn’t this place doing as well as you’d hoped?”

“I honestly have NO idea.”

Abe looked at David.  “How did you hear about this place?”  David just looked at Brie.  “Ok, Brie, how did YOU hear about this place?”

“Word of mouth from clients”, she said with a shrug.

Abe looked back to the young woman.  “Did you not advertise?”

“I spent a LOT of money on the merchandise.  I didn’t have the money to advertise.”

“And that would be the problem”, Abe said, giving the young woman a hard look.  “A little place like this has to have advertisement to stay afloat and make overhead.  Were I you, I’d take the offer.  They’ll help you and once you start making enough money to keep your head above water, I’m sure they’ll sell it back to you.”  He looked to David.  “Won’t you?”

“Absolutely.  But, Miss Priss there needs to learn the meaning of the phrase, ‘Customer Service’ before that will happen.”

“I don’t know”, the girl said after thinking about it.

Abe pulled his card out of the pocket of his suit jacket.  “Give me a call either way you decide.  I can either help you in the sell or help you declare Chapter 11 bankruptcy.  Now, sell these fine people what they came in to buy and let them get on with their day.  They have nine school age children to pick up from school here soon and I’m sure those children would like for their parents to be on time.”

“They came into buy everything.”

“Then sell them everything and don’t bitch”, Abe nearly shouted.  “God, you’re hard headed, aren’t you?”  When she opened her mouth, he held up a hand.  “Don’t answer that.  Just do what they asked.”  He looked at David and Brie as the young woman got her employees to gather up everything left in the store- which was nothing but clothes- so that she could ring it all up.  “So, grandkids, huh?  Let me guess… Malachai.”

“You’d be correct”, Brie smiled.  “He and his fiancée are having twins.”

“Tell him I said congratulations.  Twins are always fun.”

“Don’t we know it?  All but two of our children are multiples”, David said with a chuckle.

“Oh, yeah, that’s right.  You two have two sets of twins and a set of quadruplets, don’t you?”

“Yep”, Brie said.

The little girl signaled to them that she was ready to collect.  David handed Brie the credit card and let her go pay for everything.  The total was a couple thousand dollars.  The girl looked at Brie like she was going to say “Never mind, we don’t want all of this.  Brie just handed her the credit card.  “Run the damn card, child.  As my attorney said, I don’t have all day.”  The girl ran the credit card.  When it was approved, her jaw hit the floor.  “What?  You thought I was kidding when I told you we could buy this fucking place out from under you?”

“As a matter of fact, yes, I did.”

“Look at my husband.”  The little girl looked at David.  He waved sarcastically, being a jack ass.  Brie continued.  “Do you know who he is?”

“Not a clue.”

“You addressed us as Mr. and Mrs. Draiman when we walked in.  Do yourself a favor and look up the name David Draiman when you get home tonight.  Next time we see you, tell me what you found.”  Brie started gathering up as many bags as she could carry and started out the door.  “David, baby, let’s get out of here so that we can pick up the kids from school.”

David walked up to the counter and started picking up bags with a satisfied smile on his face.  After he’d picked up as many as his hands would hold, he winked at the little girl and headed out the door.

--------------

After the back of the SUV was loaded with all of the things they’d just bought, David shook Abe’s hand.  “Thanks for coming out here, Abe.  That little girl needed a reality check.”

“Anything I can do for my favorite clients, David, you know that”, Abe said with a smile.  “Now, don’t you two have kids to pick up from school?”

“That’s where we’re heading after you two get done bull shitting”, Brie said from the passenger side window.  “Come on, David.  We’ve got to go!”

David laughed.  “Alright, honey.  Geez.”  He looked back to Abe.  “I’ll see you later.  Keep me informed on what the little bitch inside decides.”

“If she decided to sell, then you’ll be the first to know.  If she doesn’t, you’ll be the first to know.”

“Thanks, brother.  I’ll catch you later.”  David got in the driver’s side of the SUV and pulled away, waving to Abe as he did.

The owner of the shop poked her head out the door.  “Mr. Sasser, I’d like to discuss the sale with you.”

--------------

After picking the kids up from school, David and Brie had them help them get all the new clothes for their niece and nephew into the house.  “Malachai!” David shouted when he opened the front door.

“Yeah, Dad?” he said as he came out of the kitchen.

“Help us bring in your children’s clothes.  We’re not your paid monkeys, you know.”

Malachai laughed.  “Don’t tell me you bought the whole store.”

“We did”, Brie said from behind her husband.  “Now, bring your ass out here and help us bring in all these clothes.”

Malachai laughed harder.  “Yes, Ma’am.”  He slipped his shoes back on and headed out to help bring in all the bags that were stuffed in the trunk of the SUV.

--------------

“Dude, I can’t believe Mom and Dad bought all this shit for Malachai and Mandy’s babies”, Jake complained to Jordan.

“Jake, you know Mom and Dad.  They like to go overboard.  They seem to especially like it now that they’re going to be grandparents soon.  Hell, if I had the money, I’d help in the spoiling of my niece and nephew.”

“So, it’s official that they’re having a boy and a girl?”

“According to what Mom and Dad said, yeah.  Mandy had the ultrasound today.”

Jake laughed.  “THAT’S awesome!  We’re going to have a NIECE and a NEPHEW!”

“Calm down, Jake, it’s not THAT big a deal.”

“My ass it’s not, sis.  But, then again, I get overly excited about shit like this.”

“No kidding, Jake.  You’re more excited than Malachai is.”

He shrugged.  “Oh well.”

No comments:

Post a Comment