Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Chapter 69


The days were dragging on for Amanda.  The longer she had to sit on the couch and do nothing unless she had to go to the bathroom, the longer the days seemed to be.  She spent them either watching TV or sleeping.  She and Malachai had taken to sleeping in the main house so that Malachai could go out and record with his band during the day.  After Jordan took a couple days to get her head back on straight after her girlfriend decided that she wasn’t a big enough celebrity , she was back in the studio making the music happen.

Jordan had taken a new view on things.  She had decided that she needed to focus on her music, her family, and her grades rather than trying to find someone to share her fame with.  “I’m done with females for a while.  Don’t get me wrong, boys still disgust me, but hey, such is life.  But, right now, I’ve got too much on my plate to deal with bitches.  My grades are on target for early graduation and they need to stay that way, my music career is taking off, my niece and nephew are due any day now… I just don’t have time.  I need to find what NORMALCY means in MY life before I decide to try to bring ANY female into the insanity that is my world.”

David looked at his daughter with a smile.  “Good for you, baby.  I’m proud of you.”

“You  know, Dad, I thought about what you said the other night and though it’s a good idea and might work for anyone else; it’s not for me.  I need to find what normal for my life means so that maybe eventually I can bring that right girl into my life.  And who knows, maybe one day I’ll adopt a bunch of brats of my own.”

Brie laughed at her daughter’s comment.  “Please, not any time soon.  You’re already growing up a little too fast for my taste.  Don’t make me a grandma again just yet, ok?”

“No worries, Mom.  I’m not dating again until I’m 18, anyway.”

--------------

That day in the studio, Dan sat the band down and had a chat with them.  “Ok, here’s what I’m thinking.  You guys have some KILLER original stuff, but, why not give the fans a taste of where your roots are?”

“For three of us, Uncle Danny, that’s Disturbed”, Logan said.

“I know, Logan, but I’m sure you kids have listened to other bands in your lives.”

“Kinda hard when all you want to listen to is your father sing”, Jordan laughed.

“Are you serious?”

“No, Uncle Danny.  I’m totally joking.  I’ve listened to other stuff.  Linkin Park, Evanescence, Godsmack, Korn, Avenged Sevenfold.  I’ve even listened a few of the bands that were considered punk back in the day.  Blink 182, the All- American Rejects, Sum 41.  But, Uncle Danny, Logan and Malachai grew up playing Disturbed.  I grew up singing Disturbed.  That’s what we cut our musical teeth on.  Any child who’s grown up as either your child, my Dad’s child, and Uncle Mikey’s kid, or Uncle John’s kid grew up with Disturbed playing in the house.”

“Ok, so, for the only cover you’re going to have on the album, why not record one song buy each of the bands you attribute your sound to and we’ll argue over it later?”

“Linkin Park, Disturbed, A7X, and Evanescence.  Ok, so I guess I get to play some more piano if we’ve got to so an Evanescence song, because it will either be ‘Imaginary’ or ‘Call Me When You’re Sober’ and those both have a piano part.”

“We could do ‘Nightmare’ by A7X”, Caleb suggested.  “It’s not so scream-y and Jordan can really carry the melody really well.”

“True”, Malachai said.  “For Linkin Park, why not do ‘Numb’?  Jord’s really good at that one too.”

“Now, we need a Disturbed song”, Logan said.  He looked at Jordan.  “Pick one.  Which song of your father’s do you want to sing better?”

She laughed.  “Which song of your father’s do you want to PLAY better, Logan?”

“Personally, I like ‘Asylum’.  It’s a fun song and the bass line is just so fucking heavy.  My Dad’s a bass GOD!” he said with a laugh.  “I only bow before his vast knowledge when it comes to ‘Asylum’.”

“ ‘Asylum’ it is then.”

“So, how about we get you kids into the booth and we start putting these tracks on tape?” Dan asked.

“We’re not technically putting them on ‘TAPE’, Uncle Danny”, Jordan laughed.  “Everything these days is totally electronic and digital.”

“I know this, Jordan, I’m just trying to motivate you kids to get your asses in gear.”

----------------

While Jordan was in the recording booth laying down the piano part to “Imaginary”, Malachai’s phone started buzzing in his pocket.  He stepped out of the sound booth to take the call.  The Caller ID said that it was Amanda.  “Hey, baby, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing, honey, but you need to get your ass home, SON”, David said.

“Oh, shit.  Sorry Dad.  What’s wrong?”

“Don’t sweat calling me your woman.  Get your ass home.  She’s just gone into labor.  She’s not far enough along that we need to rush her to the hospital, but she needs you here now.”

“Not a problem.  I’ll tell Uncle Danny what’s going on and I’ll be home ASAP.”

“You do that and I’ll sit here and let your woman crush my hand while she’s having contractions.”  Malachai heard a squeal of pain in the background, then his father spoke calmly through gritted teeth.  “Ow, Amanda, that hurts and I need that hand.”  David addressed his son again.  “Get your ass home, Aaron, and make it quick.” The connection ended. 

Malachai walked to his godfather sending Logan into the booth.  “Uncle Danny, I’m needed at home right now”, he said.

“What’s going on?”

“Amanda’s in labor and she’s been crushing Dad’s hand.  That should be MY hand and not Dad’s.”

“Then, by all means, Malachai, get your ass home and go be with your woman while she had your children.  Keep me updated on weight and length, ok?”

“You got it Uncle Danny.  I’m out of here.  Have Logan take Jordan home, please.  I’m sure that by the time you’re all done here, I’ll be at the hospital with Amanda.”

“Either Logan or I will take Jordan home, Malachai.  Get your ass out of here and go be with Mandy.”

Malachai didn’t say another word, he ran out to his car, pulling a Dukes of Hazard and sliding across the hood and climbing in through the window, and peeling out of the parking lot toward home and his fiancée.

No comments:

Post a Comment