Monday, December 27, 2010

Chapter 78

The day came that Malachai and Jordan were to leave one their tour.  Mandy was slowly crawling out of the pit that she found herself in.  And that’s exactly what it was; a pit.  She was seeing the psychiatrist three times a week to talk about what was really going on.  After years of going undiagnosed, Amanda was finally diagnosed as manic depressive; bipolar.  Because of the medication she was going to be on, she had to discontinue breast feeding, but she was ok with that.  Eventually, she wanted to be able to manage without the mood stabilizers and everyone supported her in that.

The day that Malachai and Jordan left was an emotional on for everyone.  Jake and Jordan had never spent so much time apart and Jake was honest to God afraid.  “I don’t know what I’m going to do without you, sis.  You’re always there to keep my ass in line.  Who’s going to keep me out of trouble while you’re gone?”

“I don’t know, Jake, but you’ve got to do it somehow.  I’m sure that Mom will find a way to keep you busy enough to keep you out of trouble”, Jordan told her twin brother.  “Anyway, it’s not like we’ve always done everything together.  You can get by without me for a couple of weeks.”

“Then it’s going to turn into a couple of months when you guys go on tour after the record’s released.”

“Baby steps, twin brother, baby steps.  Let’s just take this one step at a time.  Before either of us knows it, we’ll be able to stay away from each other indefinitely.”

“Don’t remind me.”

“Hey, what ever happened to Medical School at Loyola?”

“I got my early acceptance.”

“Good for you.  You can start school as soon as you graduate high school.”

“And what about YOU going to school, Jord?”

“I’ll finish school.  Mom and Dad talked to the school about me doing correspondence courses and still attending while I’m home.”

“Sweet.  So I’ll get to see you again.”

“Of course, brother.  Like you could get rid of me.”

--------------

Malachai had an emotional goodbye with the woman that was NOW his wife and his children.  “We’re going to miss you, Daddy” Mandy said with tears in her eyes.  “Sleeping in this lonely little house isn’t going to be the same without you.”

“I know, Mama, but I’ll be home before you know it”, he said as he brushed the tears from her cheeks with the back of his hand.  “Just keep in mind that I love you all no matter what.  I’ll call every night.  Hell, I’m taking my laptop so we can video chat every night and you can keep me updated on all of the things I miss while I’m gone.”

“You know I will”, she said.

“Good.  I want every detail.  I want to see video of every day that I’m gone just in case they do something spectacular and I’m not here to see it.”

“You got it, Daddy.”

Malachai kissed his wife and children.  “I’ve got to go now, or we’re going to miss our flight.”

“Go.  We’ll be fine, baby.  Mom will make sure that everything is ok.”

“Of THAT, I have no doubt.”

--------------

After Reckless Disregard left, David and Brie dinner together for the last time until he came home from Chicago after recording the new record.  The rest of Disturbed was just as eager to get into the studio as he was.  He was going to get the cathartic release he’d been needing since Matt’s death.  That night as they lay in bed after making love, David laughed unexpectedly.  “What’s got laughing?” she asked.

“I was just thinking, if the kids weren’t in school, I’d take all of you to Chicago with me.  We never made it up there during that rally tour so you guys have never seen it.  It would be fun to take you guys around Chicago to see all of the place the guys and I usually haunt while we’re up there.”

“Well, if this had happened this summer, then it could happen.  Seeing as it’s beginning of the school year, yet again, not happening.”

“I know, and it kinda sucks.  I’d love to take you all up to Chicago.  I’m sure that Danny showed Jake around while he was up there last year, but I want to take all of you.”

She sighed.  “I’m not doing that to the kids, David.  Their education is more important.”

“I agree.  They need to be in school instead of running she streets of Chicago, Illinois.  I’ll see what I can do about maybe going up there for the holidays this year.  We can crash Danny’s Christmas.”

Brie giggled.  “That sounds like fun.”

---------------

The next morning, David was gone early.  He and Brie had gotten their early morning workout and ate breakfast together before getting the kids up so that they could tell their father goodbye before he left and they all got ready for school.  It was something that Brie had gotten used to after the War ended.  She’d gotten used to telling his that she’d see him when he got home.  And that’s just what she did after walking with him to the door.  “I never truly get used to this, you know”, she said with a smile.

“Neither do I.”

“Call me when you touch down at O’Hare and get settled into your hotel room.”

“I always do.  If you need me for anything, call me and I’ll be on the next flight home.”

“I always do and so do you.”

He laid an hand against her cheek and pressed a kiss to her lips.  “I love you.”

“I love you, too.  Now get your ass out of here and go make some music with your brothers.”

“I’m going, I’m going.”  He kissed her one more time before walking out the door to catch his ride to DIA.

No comments:

Post a Comment