Friday, December 10, 2010

Chapter 46


A few days later, the crew gave David a call to come out and inspect their work.   He and Brie went out and looked at the house they’d commissioned to be rebuilt in their back yard.  They walked the inside hand in hand and were both smiling from ear to ear.  “I love it!  It’s perfect for Malachai and Amanda.  It’s so quaint.  I think they’ll like this little place.”, Brie said as she walked the little house with her husband’s hand in hers.

“I think they’ll like it too.”  He looked around the house.  “If we want to give then this as a Hanukkah gift tomorrow night, then we had better go shopping for the furniture today.”

“Well, they don’t need a TV, that’s for sure.”

“They’ll need one for the living room.  The one that John and Kristen gave them is too small to be a living room TV.”

“David, not everything is too small to be a living room TV.  They don’ t need a monster like we have.”

“Everyone needs a monster of a TV.  The Super Bowl is awesome to see on a 72” screen.”

“It’s just as good on a 54” screen, baby.  It’s just a TV show.”

“JUST a TV SHOW?  What rock have you lived under the past several years?”

“I know that the Super Bowl is a big deal, babe, but I just don’t see the point.  Grown men tackling each other over a piece of pig skin shaped into an aerodynamic ball.  What is the point?”

He slid his arms around her waist.  “You just don’t understand the point, do you?”

“No.  I honestly don’t.  Nor do I understand the point behind baseball, basketball, soccer/ European football… you name a spot and I’ll tell you now that I don’t see the point.”  Her arms automatically slid around his neck.

He smiled and pressed his lip to her forehead.  “You’re cute.  Did you know that?”

“You only tell me every day, baby.”

He laughed.  “That’s true.”  He looked to the crew.  “You’re done here.  We love it.”

“You plan on paying us?” the contractor joked.

“Ha ha, I’ve already mailed the check.”

“I know, I’ m just teasing.”  The contractor looked at his crew.  “Let get the hell out of here and get warmed up.”

“Sounds like a good plan”, the crew said; their voices scattered.  With that, they gathered up all of their equipment and left.

David and Brie stood in silence as they looked around the house.  “This will be perfect for them”, Brie laughed.

“It will.  It’s the perfect place for them to start out.  Now, let’s go get them some furniture for their tiny little piece of heaven.”  He released his hold around her waist and took her hand in his, then lead them out the door and toward the house so that he could grab keys.  Once he had keys in hand, he glanced at Malachai who was curled up on the couch with Amanda.  “We’ll be right back.  I’ll text your Uncle Danny to let him know where your mother and I are.  Keep an eye on your younger brothers and sisters until one of the other guys gets up.  Got it, Malachai?”

“Yes, sir.  Where are you and Mom going?”

“To finish a Hanukkah gift up for you and your growing family.  Stop asking questions, Malachai.  Remember, Need To Know”, he grabbed the keys to his motorcycle and grabbed both of the helmets for himself and his wife.  “We’ll be back soon.”

On the way out to David’s bike,  the contractor caught him and put the key to the guest house in his hand.  “I almost forgot.  You’ll need this if you’re going to get into the place again”, he said with a laugh.

“Thanks for remembering because I locked the door behind us.”  He took the key and stuck it in his pocket.  Then he and Brie mounted the bike and his kick it to life.  They roared off toward the nearest furniture store to buy their son some things to make the little house out back more of a home.

-------------

“You’re parents are acting rather weird, baby”, Mandy whispered to Malachai after she heard the motorcycle roar off into the distance.

“I know.  They don’t usually act this way.  But they did say that this is for a Hanukkah gift for you and me.”

“I wonder if it’s connected to the construction crew that’s been here every day for the last month.”

He shrugged.  “I don’t’ pretend to know what my parents think.  It would be a huge mistake on my part to even try.”

“At least you know when not to argue.”

“Yeah, it’s a skill I learned from my Dad.  He’s had to learn how to pick his battles.  He’s not always been very good at that.  He had to learn rather quickly that you don’t fight with my Mom about everything.  She wins 99% of the time.”

“You’re mother is rather stubborn, but your father is bull headed.”

“He’s a stubborn, hot headed Jew; but he’s my mother’s stubborn, hot headed Jew and they love each other.  She makes him have to be better and he does the same for her.  They also keep each other sane.  Much like you do for me.  You keep me from going off half cocked and making a stupid decision.  You make me strive to be better.”

She smiled at him.  “I love you, Malachai Draiman.”

He returned her smile.  “I love you too, Amanda David.”

“Eventually, you last name will be mine too.”

He knew the time has come to ask her to be his wife.  He had the ring.  He’d ask her that night after the sun had set and they were passing out their Hanukkah gifts.  It was time.

--------------

“I really like this set”, Brie said to David at the furniture store.  The set she was talking about was a black leather six piece living room suite.  She sat down on the sofa and bounced a little bit.  “It’s durable, good for a baby.”

David sat down next to her on the couch.  “Kick your shoes off and curl up next to me like you always do.  I want to see something.”

She kicked her shoes off and curled up against his side.  “Like this?”

He smiled.  “Perfect.”  He settled into the leather.  “Have you ever noticed that Malachai and Amanda sit just like this?  She curls up against his side just like you do mine.”

“Yeah, I’ve noticed it.  If I didn’t know any better, I’d say they were trying to be us”.  She laughed.  “It’s really cute.”

“You say it’s cute.  I say it’s damn near scary how like us they are.  It’s freaky.”

“She does have a way of pushing him to be better, a lot like I do you, if you’ve noticed.”

“I’ve noticed.  If I didn’t know any better, I’d say she was MY kid from a previous relationship, but I do know better.  The only children I’ve ever fathered are at home giving Danny and the guys ten kinds of hell right now.”  He sighed.  “Back to the topic at hand.  Are we getting this for them or not?”

“I vote yes.  I think they’ll like this and it won’t be too rough on the baby’s skin or anything like that.”

“Alrighty then.  Now we need to find them a bed and a big TV.”

“I thought we said NO on the big TV thing.”

“You said no.  I say they need a bigger TV than 54” for their living room, and seeing as it is MY credit card paying for all this shit, my vote’s the only one that counts”, he said with a laugh.

She rolled her eyes.  “You’re such a jack ass, David.”

“But, you love me and you know it.”  He placed a kiss on her hair.

“Sometimes I wonder”, she said with a laugh.

“Do what?”  He looked at her in shock.  “Are you telling me that you question whether or not you love me?”

She laughed.  “In your dreams, David.  I love you.  You’re a good man, David Draiman.  How could I NOT love you?”  She sat back up and slipped her shoes back on and sighed.  “Alright, let’s go look at the TV’s.”

He laughed.  “I knew I’d get you to agree.  You’re too predictable.”

“Only because we’ve been married for fourteen almost fifteen years.”  She stood and straightened out her clothes.  “Come on, we’ve got a bedroom suite and a TV buy.  We may as well make sure that the TV has a DVD player in it.”

He laughed as he pushed himself to standing.  “You know, I’m tempted to get the new stuff for us and give them the stuff from the house.”

“No, David.  They get the new stuff.  We can shop for new stuff for the house later.  Like next month or whatever.”

He chuckled.  “Yes, ma’am.  We’ll get this new stuff for Malachai and Amanda.  I hope they’ll like it.”

“I’m sure they will.  Now, off to the TV’s so that you can buy them a new entertainment system.”

--------------

“Uncle Danny!” Jeremiah cried.  “Jessi is being mean!”

Dan sighed and went to go see what was going on.  “What are you complaining about NOW, Jeremiah Alexander?”

“Jessi’s being mean”, the little boys said, pointing at his little sister.

“’Miah, you’re the big brother, first of all.  Second, what did she do?  Jessi’s being mean doesn’t tell me shit.”

“She snatched my truck from me.”

“Did not!” Jessi yelled at her big brother.  “He’s lying, Uncle Danny”.

“You two know what?  I’m putting both of your little asses in time out until your parents get home.  I don’t have the patience for this shit.”  He grabbed both children by the collar and pulled them to standing.  “Get your butts in the living room now.  You can tell the story to your Dad when he gets back.  I’m not dealing with this shit.”  They hung their head and walked to the living room, pouting as they walked.  Dan pointed to two separate corners and they went to them without any argument.  Dan had about reached his breaking point with the tattling.  It was getting to be bullshit.  It was a fucking holiday.  Couldn’t David’s younger kids get along long enough to celebrate Hanukkah?

No comments:

Post a Comment