Thursday, December 2, 2010

Chapter 33

David walked into the precinct like he owned the place.  He walked up to the front desk and slammed his palms onto the granite counter in front of him.  “I want some answers and I want them NOW”, he barked at the rookie behind the desk.

The man flushed.  “I’m sorry; sir, but I don’t know who you are.”

David took a deep breath, trying to stay calm.  “My name is David Draiman.  You assholes have my son Malachai.  I want to know where his is, who that mother fucker who touched my daughters is, and how much it’s going to cost me to get my son out of this shit hole.  Do you understand what I’m saying to you, Rookie?”

“I’m sorry, Mr. Draiman, but your son is in interrogation.”

“Has he asked for an attorney?”

“Yes.”

“Then if the detectives are still in that room with him, there is going to be one hell of a law suit.  Now, what did you mother fuckers get on the bastard that put his hands on my minor daughters?”

The rookie sighed.  “I can’t answer that, Mr. Draiman.  I don’t know.  The arresting officers are the detectives in the interrogation room with your son.  They were on Fair duty when the fight broke out.”

David looked at the young cop.  “My attorney is on his way as is my son’s bondsman.  If you don’t get in contact with the detectives and let them know that I’m on my way down, I’m going to have your fucking job.  Do I make myself perfectly fucking clear?”  The rookie reached over and picked up the phone, telling the detectives that he was on his way with the suspect’s father.  Even though Malacahi was eighteen now, David still wanted to see the detectives so that he knew who to name in the law suit.

Finally, the rookie stood from where he sat.  “I’ll take you back, Mr. Draiman”, he said as he walked around the front desk.  He led David back to the interrogation room where he heard the Detectives talking to Malachai.  He was starting to see red, but he took another deep breath so that he didn’t lose his cool.

“Just admit that you wanted to hurt him and that you had no reason to hit him and we’ll make sure that the DA takes it easy on you”, one of the detectives said.

“No.  I already told you at least 20 times that I want my lawyer.  And, believe me, there is NOTHING that the DA can do to me that will make me fear him more that I fear my father.  If he’s here, I’d like to see him to see if he’s bailing me out of here or not.”

David opened the door to the interrogation room and walked in.  “I thought he told you he wanted a lawyer, detectives.”

“Who are you?” one of the men asked.

“I’m his father.  My attorney is on his way as is the bondsman.  Now, get the fuck out of this room and don’t come back until you have a figure for how much it’s going to cost to get my son out of here.”  The detectives stared at him like he was sprouting a second head.  “DID I FUCKING STUTTER?” David yelled.  They turned to the door and left.

--------------

“Logan, I’m starting to get nervous”, Brie said as she paced the living room floor.

“Aunt Brie, it’s ok.  Uncle David has this under control.  He’s probably got that place on their toes from the moment he walked into the station.”

“Oh, I’m not doubting that, Logan, but the amount of time it’s taking them to get home has me worried.  It doesn’t take this long to get someone bailed out of jail and back out to the house.  It just doesn’t.”

“Aunt Brie, this is Uncle David we’re talking about here.  He probably called the attorney and bail bondsman on the way into town and beat them to the jail.”

She sighed.  “You’re right.”  She sat down on the couch and reached for the remote.  “Where are Maddie and Jordan?” she asked.

“In Jordan’s room telling each other how they can’t believe what happened.”

“Where is Amanda?”

“Malachai’s room asleep.”

“Where is Dani?”

“Same.”

She turned on the TV.  “Logan, something just doesn’t feel right.”

“Aunt Brie, you’re over- reacting.  It’s ok.  Why don’t you lay down on the couch and try to get a little rest until Uncle David and Malachai get back?”

She sighed.  “You’re right, Logan.  I’m freaking out over nothing.  I’m sure everything is fine.  I think I’ll take your suggestion and lie down for a little while.  Wake me up as soon as they roll into the driveway.”

“Yes, ma’am.  I will wake you as soon as I see Uncle David’s headlights in the drive.”

--------------

When he came too in the hospital, he had one hell of a head ache.  The kid had done a number on his face.  Everything hurt.  His eyes hurt, his jaws hurt; hell, even his teeth hurt.  When he tried to move his right hand he found that he was cuffed to the rail of his hospital bed.  “What the…?” he asked.  “Mark Taylor, the Devil himself.  What they hell were you doing at the fair?” the police officer asked.

“I was there for the entertainment.  They had some pretty good acts over the weekend.”

“You’re so full of shit, Taylor.  Why haven’t you gone to see your PO since you got out of prison?”

“I tried; he never answered the phone when I called.”

The officer rolled his eyes.  “You do realize that your little stun tonight earned you a one way ticket back to the state prison, right?”

He sighed.  “If the older one hadn’t looked so damn sexy, I would have been so tempted.”

“You’re a lying sack of shit, Taylor, and you know it.”

The man in the hospital bed shrugged.  “What is to become of the young man who beat my face in tonight?” he asked as he settled into his bed.

“Dunno and you don’t need to know.  I’m sure that for catching you the DA will let him walk.”

“For assaulting me?”

“For defending his sisters from a piece of shit like you.  Now, go back to sleep before I call a nurse in here with a tranquilizer.”

--------------

“Damn, David, you sure know how to clear a room”, a man in a suit said when he walked into the interrogation room where David and Malachai sat.

“Fuck you, Abe”, he said with a laugh.

“Well, this must be young Malachai”, Abe said.

“That’s right.  The oldest of my children.”  David looked to Malachai.  “Son this is Abraham Sasser.  He’s an old friend of mine from my Loyola days and he’s been my attorney for many, many years now.”

“Pleasure to meet you, sir”, Malachai said to the man and extended his hand.

Abe took his hand and shook.  “It’s nice to meet you finally too, Malachai.”  He looked at David.  “I just found out who the man that Malachai assaulted was, David.”

David raised a brow.  “Oh, really?  Who was he?”

“A known, but unregistered sex offender named Mark Taylor.  He has a weakness for little Jewish girls.”

David’s hands started shaking as he fought to keep control of his temper.  “That dirty bastard put his filthy hands on my babies, Abe, my oldest daughters.”

“And he’s going right back to prison, David.  I’m going to talk to the DA in the morning about Malachai walking.  He was defending his younger sisters and hence what he did was perfectly legal.”

“How much to get him out of here, Abe?”

“The police don’t have anything on him, really.  He saw someone touching his sisters and reacted.  All of them would have done the same for a female in their lives.  He can leave now since he has nothing to say and they have no reason to hold him.”

Malachai sighed in relief.  “That’s great.  I can’t wait to get the hell out of here.”

“Then let’s go.  We’ll grab your wallet and I’ll get you home.  I’m sure you’re mother is worried sick.”

“As am I, Dad.  I know how Mom is.”

No comments:

Post a Comment