Saturday, December 11, 2010

Chapter 48


The furniture was delivered the following day.  Thankfully, David and Brie were the only ones up so they could direct the delivery men as to where to put the new furniture.  David went out in his house shoes, sweat pants, a tank top and leather jacket to unlock the guest house while Brie ran out in a pair of flannel pajama pants, her house shoes, a camisole and a hoodie to direct the men to the rear of the house.  One of the delivery guys laughed.  “Does Mr. Draiman look like he just crawled out of bed too?” he asked.

She pulled the jacket tighter around her body and nodded.  “Yes, he does.  We did just crawl out of bed.  We were making breakfast when we saw you boys pull up.”

“I’m scared to ask what he’s wearing”, the only female in the crew commented.

“Something similar to what I’m wearing, but he threw on a leather jacket to unlock the house out back.  That’s where all this stuff is going.”

“I’m gonna need a massage after this”, the other man said as he opened the back of the truck.

“Sorry, folks, I’m not working this week.  It’s Hanukkah.  I’m taking the week off.”  When they pulled the first item off the back of the truck she guided them around to the back of the house.  “Come on, I’ll show you where to take it.  David will show you where everything goes.”  She walked around to the back of the house with two of the delivery people behind her.

When they got around back, David was standing in the door.  He stepped aside for the movers to get the couch into the small building.  “The living room is right here”, he said as he pointed to the empty space in front of him.

“Baby, I’m going to go back in and finish breakfast.  Do you want me to put on a fresh pot of coffee?” Brie called to her man.

“Yes!” he called back.  “It’s only polite to warm these poor kids up after they moved all this shit into this tiny little house.”  He looked at the boys and girl moving their son’s new furniture into his new little house.  “You kids up for some coffee or something after this?”

The boys said yes, but the young woman shook her head.  “I’m not much of a coffee drinker, but I’ll take some hot tea or hot cocoa if you don’t mind”, she said.

“That won’t be a problem.  I’ll put on the tea pot.  I don’t drink a lot of coffee either so I know how you feel”, Brie called back then ran back into the house.

The crew moved everything into the little house and set it up where David directed them.  The entertainment center that they’d picked out for the new couple was put together in the cold house.  The only reason the heat wasn’t on was because the door was standing open.  Once the furniture was all in the house, David shut the door and turned on the heater.  “I’m none of us wants to continue to freeze our asses off”, he said when he got questioning looks from the deliver crew. 

--------------

After they got everything put together, he showed them inside and got them something to warm their bones.  Brie had the hot tea and the coffee in mugs waiting on them when they came inside.  “Fix it however you like.  There’s cream and sugar on the table for all of you.”

David shot her a dirty look.  “You know how I take my coffee.”

“Your coffee is in your cup, baby.  Don’t give me that bull shit.”

He took a sip of the warm liquid and gave her a kiss on the cheek.  “I was picking on your, Hannah.”

“You’re about to get your block knocked off, Michael.  Don’t start with your insanity”, she said with a giggle.

At that point, Mike walked into the kitchen.  “What did I do?” he asked.

Brie laughed and shook her head.  “Wrong Michael.  I was taking to MY Michael.”

“She thinks she’s running something here.  Little does she know..” David laughed with a glance at Mike.

“You’re gonna find out who’s running what around here when you end up in the hospital because you’re being poisoned”, she said giving him a dirty look.

He laughed.  “I love you, baby”, he said as he did so and pressed a kiss to her cheek.

She looked at him out of the corner of her eye.  “I love you too, but you’re in DEEP shit, Mister.”

“Fuck”, he cursed under his breath.  “I fucked up, huh?”

“Oh, you have NO IDEA.”

--------------

The kids were all still fighting over this and that.  It didn’t matter what was done to placate them so that they would stop, they still weren’t happy.  David finally came to the point where he’d had enough.  “THAT’S IT!” he shouted.  “ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!  FIRST OFF, YOU’RE ALL GROUNDED!  SECOND, YOU’VE ALL FORFEITED YOUR PRESENTS FOR TONIGHT!  FINALLY, GUESS WHAT, WE’RE ALL GOING TO TEMPLE TOMORROW NIGHT!  DON’T LIKE IT, TOUGHT SHIT!   I’VE HAD IT WITH ALL THE FIGHTING!!”  He made it known in his voice that he’d had enough.

The children all looked to their mother, expecting her to override their father.   She shook her head.  “Don’t look at me.  I agree with your father.  If you can’t behave yourselves, then this is what you get.  Don’t expect me to overrule him.  What he says goes.”  She walked over and wrapped an arm around his waist, showing that they were a united front.  There was nothing that their children could say to sway them from their decision.

“Now, if your last name is Draiman and your under the age of 18, go to your rooms now.  I don’t want to see your beautiful and handsome faces until dinner.  Start moving.”

They all started heading upstairs to their rooms when David shouted for them to freeze.  “Oh, and for those of you who are in a grade higher than third, I want a three page report on the meaning and history of Hanukkah.  I want it to include what it means to you.  And I want it by the end of the day.  Only then will I reconsider making you all go to Temple.  Now, start walking.”

Brie tugged him toward the couch after the younger children were all upstairs, having him sit down them parked her bony butt in his lap.  “Nicely handled.”  She wrapped her arms around his neck.

“I thought so”, he said with a sigh of relief.  His arms automatically slid around her waist.

Malachai let out a laugh.  “I don’t miss having to break that shit up, that’s for sure.  I’m glad I don’t have to deal with that.”

David and Brie looked at their oldest son.  “Believe me, your day is coming.  If you two have more than one, you’ll be breaking up fights for the next several years”, David said.  He looked up at the woman sitting in his lap.  “Am I still in trouble?” he asked.

She shrugged.  “I don’t know, are you?”

He laughed.  “If I have MY way about it, then the answer is NO.”

She nodded.  “Ok, then, no, but I reserve the right to change my mind at any point in time that I deem appropriate.”

He gapped at her.  “Are you serious?”

She pushed him back against the couch and turned so that she was straddling his waist.  “You know what?  You’re just digging a deeper hole with me, David”, she whispered against his lips.

He quirked an eyebrow.  “Oh, really now?” he whispered back.  “And about how deep is my grave at this moment?” he asked.

“Six feet and getting deeper”, she said with a laugh.

“Mom, Dad, really?  I’m right here”, Malachai said as he chuckled.

“If you don’t like what we do in our house, then here”, David pulled a set of keys out of his pocket.  “You and Amanda officially have your own place.”  He tossed the keys to Malachai.

“Where is this place that belongs to us?” Amanda asked.

“The old guest house.  I had it rebuilt so that it would accommodate a growing family and we went and bought furniture for it yesterday.  It was supposed to be for Hanukkah tonight, but seeing as your fiancées brothers and sister canceled the gift exchange with their bad behavior you’re getting it before sunset.  Move into it whenever you’re ready.  It’s ready for you.”

“Wow, I don’t know what to say.  Thanks, Dad; thanks Mom”, Amanda said.

Brie and David exchanged a look of confusion.  “Did she just..?” David said.

“I think she did, but I can’t be sure”, Brie replied.

“Don’t tell me you’re freaking out over me calling you Mom and Dad?”

“No, not freaking out, just shocked; that’s all.  We weren’t expecting you to call us that for some time”, Brie told her.

“It’s a little weird to hear, but we’re not upset about it.  You’re pretty much family now and you were before Malachai proposed last night.  We considered you family the night Malachai and I went and got you from your Aunt and Uncle’s house.”

Amanda teared up.  “Thank you both so much for everything you’ve done for me.  You’ll never know how thankful I am to both of you for everything, Mom and Dad.”

“Sweetie, you don’t have to thank us.  It’s been our pleasure.  You make our son happy.  That’s all we require of you.  Malachai being happy is thanks enough for us”, Brie said.  “Wouldn’t you agree, baby?”

David nodded.  “I absolutely do.  You don’t have to thank us.  Just make him happy and keep him straight.  We’ve done our part.  Now, it’s up to you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment