Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Chapter 65

Not even a week after Lauren showed up and signed Reckless Disregard to her representation, Danny popped up at the house with a record deal for the band.  He didn’t bother knocking.  He just walked it.  It was his brother’s house after all.

David happened to be in the living room when he walked in.  “Mother fucker, don’t you know how to knock?” he asked with a laugh.

“I do, but it’s more fun to just walk in because I know it will piss you off”, Dan joked.

David stood from his favorite chair and went over to the door to greet Dan.  “It’s good to see you, brother.  What brings you here though?  Are Nicole and the kids with you?”

“Nope.  Both of mine are in college now.”

“Oh, yeah.  God, where has the time gone?”

“I ask myself that every day, brother.”  He sighed.  “But, I’m here on business.”

“What business?”

“You said you wanted to be out of the loop, so I don’t think you really need to know.”

“You’re here to sign Reckless Disregard, aren’t you?”

“Yeah, but I said you didn’t need to know.”

“And that’s what tipped me off, jack ass.  And, as long as it’s happening under my roof, I need to know.”

Dan sighed.  “Yes, David, I’m here to sign your kids to a record deal.  Their band impressed the hell out of Mike and me at Matt’s funeral.”  He looked David in the eyes.  “Speaking of, how is everyone holding up?”

“We’re ok.  There are times when we still have to deal with upset little ones, but it comes and goes.  The older kids seem to be handling it just fine now.”

“How are you and Brie doing?”

David sighed.  “We’re good.  It still stings at times, especially for Brie, but that wound is healing rather nicely.”

“That’s good, brother.”  Dan looked around the house.  “So, where are your kids?”

“Danny; it’s Wednesday.  Where do you think they are?”

“Ah, oh yeah.  They’re in school.”

“Exactly.”

“Where’s Malachai?”

“Out back taking care of his pregnant fiancĂ©e.”

“Wow.  I still can’t believe that you beat me to being a grandfather, brother.  I mean, you shouldn’t be a grandpa first.”

“And why the hell not?” laughed David.

“Because I was a dad first, damn it”, Dan laughed back.

"Jealous much, Danny?"

"Hell yes.  I keep waiting on one of MINE to make ME Grandpa at some point.  Maya's too worried about her studies and Justin's not interested in being a daddy at the moment.  He insists on protection for not only himself but his partner."


"Smart boy.  I told Malachai the same thing.  He used one, but it broke."


"Leave it to your kids to have to deal with a faulty rubber."


David just rolled his eyes and let Danny in the house.  "You know, Malachai's not the one that I have to worry about.  So what, he's making me a Grandpa.  Now, JORDAN, on the other hand, I have to deal with the worst of heart breaks with her once she becomes 'active'."


"Really?  Why is that?"


David laughed.  "My daughter is a lesbian, Danny."


Dan couldn't help it.  He laughed.

--------------

When Malachai came in to get Mandy something for lunch, he spotted his godfather.  “Hi, Uncle Danny.  What are you doing here?”

“I’m here to sign you and your band to a record deal, Malachai.”

“Sweet.  I’ll put in a call to our manager to have her here when we start signing things.  Gotta keep her in the loop.”

“You do that, Malachai.  It would actually be rather smart of you.”

“Well, Uncle Danny, I’m not stupid.”

“Never said you were, Mr. Valedictorian.”

Malachai laughed.  “Yeah, but, the fact that I had all these cool things attached to my graduation robe doesn’t mean that I’m smart.  It just means that I’m smarter than all the stupid fuckers I graduated with.”

“Truer words were never spoken, godson.”

“What brings you in, son?” David asked his son.

“Mandy’s sick and she needs something to eat and drink.  The twins are kicking her ass.”

David smiled.  “Ah, I remember those days.  Jordan and Jacob did the exact same thing to you mother when she was pregnant with them.”

“I remember that too, Dad.  At least Mandy’s not having the insanely accurate dreams that Mom did with Jake and Jordan.”

“Very true.  Be grateful.  Now, get your woman something to eat and drink before I get up and plant my boot in your ass.”

Malachai laughed,  “Yes, sir.  I’m on my way back to the kitchen.”

--------------

When he got back out to his and Mandy’s house, Malachai had a huge smile on his face.  Mandy couldn’t help but notice.  “What has you so happy, handsome?” she asked.

“Uncle Danny’s here to sign us to a record deal”, he responded as he set the tray of food on her lap.  “The dream is coming true.  We’re getting a deal.”

“What great news!  I’m glad Dan’s here to sign you guys.  Hopefully, he’ll get you guys in the studio soon and possibly out on the road.”

“That’s Lauren’s job.  I’m going to ask her not to send us on the road until after the babies are born.  I know it will be difficult with two newborns and me gone on tour, but you’ll have Mom and Dad here to help you out should you need it.  They have nine besides me.  I’m sure they’ll be able to give you some advice.”

She smiled at him.  “I know Mom and Dad will help me wherever they can.  And, our children will have nine aunts and uncles that will be more than willing to help out as well.”

“And only a handful old enough to help out.  Jessi and Marc are still too young for the moment.  I’m still hedgy about the quads helping out as well.  They’re not quite old enough to help out as far as I’m concerned either.”

“They can’t be hands on, but they can fetch bottles and diapers and stuff like that.”

He nodded.  “True.  I won’t deny them that.”

--------------

After Jordan was home from school, she ran out to Malachai and Amanda’s little place behind the house to get her brother.  “Come on, shit head.  Let’s get this record deal signed.  Chop, chop, fucker”, she said as she banged on the door.

“Jordan, Mandy’s asleep.  Stop with that shit.  Give me a moment to get my shoes on and I’ll be right in”, Malachai said when he opened the door.

Jordan sighed.  “Fine, I’ll see you inside.  Don’t drag ass, ok?  I want to get into the studio as soon as possible.”

“We’re not rehearsing today, Jord.  I need to take care of Mandy.”

“I meant to record, jack ass.”

“Oh.  Hopefully that will be soon.”

“I know.”  She sighed.  “Well, I’m heading in.  By the way, were I you, I’d call our manager so that she can do her job.”

Malachai laughed.  “I was going to do that while I put my shoes back on.”

Jordan smiled.  “Alright, I’ll see you inside, then.” And she walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment